N. American Flathead Catfish

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Anyone here keep Flathead catfish? Or heard of anyone who does?

Personally I think I'd be pretty awesome to keep the nastiest predator in american freshwater. :hearts:

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
It would be impossoble to keep them with anything ohter than the largest fish. Their mouths are massive.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
according to fishbase, max weight for flathead catfish is 56 kg
max for muskie is 32 kg
max for gator gar is 137 kg

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
whats it matter which one is heaviest? I was refering to nastiness.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as far as I'm concerned - Flatheads are the meanest things in the water in N. American, except for alligators mabye.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
I was figuring I would have to keep one in a tank by itself - lord knows it would eat just about anything.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
piranha45 said:
nasty hmm... nesting bass!
More like nesting bluegill. One guy on the cichlid forum had bluegill spawn in his 150 gallon tank the father bluegill killed everything. Including larger texas cichlids and devils. People think bluegill are calm when breeding because they seem them nesting so close together in the wild. But what they dont know is that a male bluegill will defends its nest with its life. Anything that crosses its space is attacked.

As far as flatheads go they will eat anything in the wild. Large bass,any of the smaller sunfish,fully grown bull heads and even good sized channel cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store