Native Invertebrates

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Collecting in the S. Edisto river. Raked the grass with a dipnet hundreds of times in different areas, no shrimps. No plants yet, but might in the future. Guess I'll just have to rely on the current to keep things stirred up.
I'm not sure where that is, I live on the East coast, freshwater shrimp are very common...

TheNonEuclidean

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
SC
The South Fork Edisto River. Long blackwater river in SC. After about 100 attempts, getting netfulls of weeds and/or muck, never saw a single snail or shrimp or even shells. Did get several leeches, but they arent helpful. The river is VERY soft and acidic though. Not conductive to large populations of shelled critters.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
The South Fork Edisto River. Long blackwater river in SC. After about 100 attempts, getting netfulls of weeds and/or muck, never saw a single snail or shrimp or even shells. Did get several leeches, but they arent helpful. The river is VERY soft and acidic though. Not conductive to large populations of shelled critters.
I hate to say it but black water here in NC is usually full of shrimp... I usually catch them in the cape fear and surrounding rivers and creeks...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To get shrimp where I live, I scoop up a bunch of leaf litter from the bottom of a stream with the net and drop the scoop of detritus into a bucket of water, and start removing the leaves and twigs, there are almost always shrimp and crayfish left after the leaves are gone.
fullsizeoutput_1093.jpeg
if I keep a crawdad, usually only one per tank (180 gal), otherwise they fight to the death
fullsizeoutput_15bc.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

TheNonEuclidean

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
SC
To get shrimp where I live, I scoop up a bunch of leaf litter from the bottom of a stream with the net and drop the scoop of detritus into a bucket of water, and start removing the leaves and twigs, there are almost always shrimp and crayfish left after the leaves are gone.

if I keep a crawdad, usually only one per tank (180 gal), otherwise they fight to the death
Great looking shrimp! Yes, thats how its supposed to work. i did just that, pulling up leaf litter and clumps of weeds, only inverts i got were insect larvae and leeches... might try again at a different location.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store