Natural ant colony

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I’ll be getting a 12x12x12 glass tank with a mesh sliding lid and will be using fluon on the inside top of the walls so the ants cannot escape. Using a natural mix of sand and dry sifted soil and will have 4 pounds of it. I’m not completely sure on the species I’m getting but it won’t be for a while but I definitely want a species that makes more complex tunnel system. I’m also wanting to plant a patch of grass or some type of greenery but not sure what I should plant, any suggestions?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like an interesting enough project but how would you get the ants to tunnel along the glass where you could observe them?

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Sounds like an interesting enough project but how would you get the ants to tunnel along the glass where you could observe them?
I’ve decided on getting Lasius niger, I’ll be getting a Queen and to encourage digging along the glass I’m going to wet the soil along the glass to make it softer and easier for the Queen to dig her Chamber.

Reactions: phreeflow

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very cool,keep us posted.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Very cool,keep us posted.
I’ll definitely keep this thread updated as it gets set up and so on. I’m thinking of ordering just a test tube of random ants on Amazon so that they can start the nest but without a Queen the small colony will die and leave behind the tunnels and the bodies would be a good source for my lasius niger Queen and colony, this way I don’t have to worry about the Queen laying the eggs in the open or digging somewhere else.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....when I was a kid I wanted an ant farm but never got one,fast forward many many years later I can't seem to keep the ants out of my kitchen!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
For projects such as these where you want to see burrows and such you would be better off with one of those purpose built contraptions that you see on line. Not saying you have to buy one, as you could make one pretty easy I reckon.

The main body of it, the important part where the burrows are, is very slender. So you can see the burrows no matter how the ants try to hide them. The image below will give you an idea. These things are quite common, and very popular with kids who want to keep worms or ants.

Screenshot_20221204-074205.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store