Need Advice... Black Moor Turning White

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
My girlfriend has had a black moor goldfish for about 8 months now. It's about 4-5" long we have it in a 5 gal. tank but gonna get a larger one soon. I'm concerned because the fish is turning white on and around the stomach/ lower half of the body, completely losing the black color in that area. Is this due to stress? Illness? I don't think it's normal cuz all the pictures I've looked at online haven't shown a black moor with much of any other color. What steps should I take to get the color back into the fish?

Thanks!

TwistedPenguin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Goldfish need 20-30 gallons of water each. You've had the Moor in a 5 g for 8 months? That's not good, that's a Betta tank (which in my opinion isn't even big enough for a Betta). He's most certainly very ill. My advice is to go get him a 30 g tank today. Like right now.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
yea thats messed up to keep him in a 5gal. get a bigger tank and maybe youll see a difference

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Coud you please post a photo of the fish? A lot of goldfish lose their black color eventually due to melanophore migration. Where there is no ultraviolet spectrum coming from the direct sunlight which is responsible for maintaining the black color, the melanin cells are not replaced quickly by new ones hence the black subsides and replaced by other colors instead. I have an oranda, Velvet whose black color is changing to orange with tinge of olive green and chocolate. My black ranchu, Loco is also changing his colors as he is showing orange shades near his belly already. I am still unsure if my 7" black oranda will ever change his colors yet. You cannot retain the black color unless the fish has exposure to the sunlight which is responsible for retaining the melanin cells.

There is one other thing to note. The black smudges that may appear on your goldfish is not color development but indication of ammonia burns. Only way to correct it is doing plenty of water changes. This is also associated with red streaking on the fins.

By 8 months, the black moor should already be 6-7 inches but growth rate is also influenced by dietary requirements and genetics aside from environmental conditions. TwistedPenguin is correct. That black moor needs a large tank if your girlfriend hopes to keep him for a long time. A 30g can fit two adult fancy goldfish just fine but a 55g would be a much better option and fits at least 3 fancy goldies in it. A 75g has better floorspace area. Craiglist has deals most of the time.

largemouthfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
IL
i'll probably get a 30gal, she's still in school and won't be able to fit much larger in her room for now. i know right now the fish doesn't get much if any direct sunlight where it is in her room right now so we'll change that too. I'll get that stuff goin and post a couple pics up soon. Thank you.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
With tank setups, best not allow direct sunlight on the tank. There are many reasons why not. This way is easier...The fish is bound to change colors and it would be better to accept the changes.

Farhaan

Feeder Fish
Nov 27, 2017
Hi I have small black moore goldfish but it has changed colour from black to white I have 2 foot(24inches) tank and continues oxygen supply what to do I think they have illness plz help

Farhaan

Feeder Fish
Nov 27, 2017
My goldfish keeps on dying yesterday I change 80% of water within one week with tap water overnight 3 fish died and one goldfish gasping for breath what should I do plz help

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would suggest posting ur water parameters atleast to start. Water conditioner? Food? Tank size? Tankamtes? Temps? Etc...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store