Need advice on stand for 350g aquarium. Wood? Steel? Aluminum?

HenryC

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
Baja California, Mexico
www.flickr.com
I got an upcoming 350g, 10' aquarium where my vieja and oscars will live happily, but I need to get a stand first. This is my biggest aquarium ever and I need everything to be perfect haha. Does anyone have such big and heavy aquariums? What type of stand do you have?

I would really like you guys to give me any suggestions, structure ideas, building materials, finishing touches... anything that you think is important to take note for such a gigantic aquarium. All my stands have been wood, but I've only had up to 90g aquariums. This is more than triple the water/weight!

Wood? Aluminum? Steel? How to deal with uneven flooring for such a big tank? Also, I live in earthquake prone area so gotta keep that in mind when building the structure!

Please share any advice/photos/whatever you think might help me. Thanks!

Pic: It's an aquarium identical to the one I will be getting. I saw them installing it and asked for one.

444444444444444.png

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Best of both worlds, steel stand for support and then wrapped in wood for looks.

do you make a build post? or have blueprints?
Unfortunately no, I just did a basic 2x4 then skinned it with 3/4 ply and tongue in groove paneling. I built a header across the center opening as well, that's why it's lower

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
You should buy an aquarium stand made of durable materials. This is why I would advise against getting a stand made entirely of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). MDF absorbs water easily, which makes it undesirable for use as an aquarium stand.
On the other hand, powder-coated steel frames are the best as they are highly rust-resistant. They can also carry more weight compared to MDF.

Reactions: Milingu

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Be prepared to shim the stand. The tank needs to be level. I like the design of this stand better than the one in your picture.

ptgb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2019
That size tank is a lot of weight. My 450g glass is estimated at 5000-6000 pounds. Wood in vertical compression is incredibly strong, but you need wider widths for a tank that size. I chose steel because of wanting a more open stand for access. Then skinned it using 1x4's, cabinet panels from IKEA, and magnets. I can take off all the panels to allow full access to the sump.

20200621_135348.jpg20200725_165330A.jpg20201229_175139.jpg20201229_175228.jpg20201229_175154.jpgDiscusBottom.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
That size tank is a lot of weight. My 450g glass is estimated at 5000-6000 pounds. Wood in vertical compression is incredibly strong, but you need wider widths for a tank that size. I chose steel because of wanting a more open stand for access. Then skinned it using 1x4's, cabinet panels from IKEA, and magnets. I can take off all the panels to allow full access to the sump.

View attachment 1476080View attachment 1476085
I like the wheels for moving your stand. We used a pallet jack to move our tank and stand around

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I got an upcoming 350g, 10' aquarium where my vieja and oscars will live happily, but I need to get a stand first. This is my biggest aquarium ever and I need everything to be perfect haha. Does anyone have such big and heavy aquariums? What type of stand do you have?

I would really like you guys to give me any suggestions, structure ideas, building materials, finishing touches... anything that you think is important to take note for such a gigantic aquarium. All my stands have been wood, but I've only had up to 90g aquariums. This is more than triple the water/weight!

Wood? Aluminum? Steel? How to deal with uneven flooring for such a big tank? Also, I live in earthquake prone area so gotta keep that in mind when building the structure!

Please share any advice/photos/whatever you think might help me. Thanks!

Pic: It's an aquarium identical to the one I will be getting. I saw them installing it and asked for one.

View attachment 1473762
Can they make you a tube steel stand exactly as that one is? tube steel is super strong. Although my tanks are nowhere near as heavy as yours will be (90g and 150g) i have them on tube steel stands.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store