Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
A couple weeks ago a saw a mark on my Chocolates cheek I was leaving for a week out of state and didn't think much of it. Assumed he had a disagreement or possibly hit something. Nothing major looking but was suprised since they all seem to be peaceful for a cichlid tank which is why i chalked it up to hit something. I came home a week later and and my chocolate Now is worse his color has changed drastically hangout up in a corner he no longer greets me, does not have the same appetite barely any at all. Maybe 1 or 2 medium cichlid pellets every day or two where prior it was 4 large pellets daily. I have searched the Internet and cannot seem to find much information I have been putting stress coat in the tank melaflex (two days now) and pimafix (started today). I have a 10 gallon sick tank but was not sure if hes too big to put in there at he is at least 6 or 7 inches. he is in the tank with an Orange sevram a green sevram a Earth mover a blue acara and a parrot cichlid. They are all original fish I have not introduced anything new And they have been in this tank for close to 2 years The tank is at 79 prior 77 bumped it up to see ig that would help and all water parameters are fine ph did come back at 7.6? the water is changed weekly every once in a while biweekly. I'm hoping he is stressed? The two severums im noticing are always close by but from everyone I have spoke to they say they are good tankmates. Maybe the orange severum is bullying? That one is always the closest and the biggest in the tank next to my chocolate. Any help would be appreciated. I love my chocolate and don't want to loose her (I believe) possibly a him. The first picture is prior to her/him getting sick. I just wanted to give a base of how much the change has been in the last 2 weeks.Thank you!

Screenshot_20220929-082820_Gallery.jpg

20220928_172713.jpg

20220928_172601.jpg

20220928_172323.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A couple weeks ago a saw a mark on my Chocolates cheek I was leaving for a week out of state and didn't think much of it. Assumed he had a disagreement or possibly hit something. Nothing major looking but was suprised since they all seem to be peaceful for a cichlid tank which is why i chalked it up to hit something. I came home a week later and and my chocolate Now is worse his color has changed drastically hangout up in a corner he no longer greets me, does not have the same appetite barely any at all. Maybe 1 or 2 medium cichlid pellets every day or two where prior it was 4 large pellets daily. I have searched the Internet and cannot seem to find much information I have been putting stress coat in the tank melaflex (two days now) and pimafix (started today). I have a 10 gallon sick tank but was not sure if hes too big to put in there at he is at least 6 or 7 inches. he is in the tank with an Orange sevram a green sevram a Earth mover a blue acara and a parrot cichlid. They are all original fish I have not introduced anything new And they have been in this tank for close to 2 years The tank is at 79 prior 77 bumped it up to see ig that would help and all water parameters are fine ph did come back at 7.6? the water is changed weekly every once in a while biweekly. I'm hoping he is stressed? The two severums im noticing are always close by but from everyone I have spoke to they say they are good tankmates. Maybe the orange severum is bullying? That one is always the closest and the biggest in the tank next to my chocolate. Any help would be appreciated. I love my chocolate and don't want to loose her (I believe) possibly a him. The first picture is prior to her/him getting sick. I just wanted to give a base of how much the change has been in the last 2 weeks.Thank you!

View attachment 1504056

View attachment 1504057

View attachment 1504058

View attachment 1504059
Welcome aboard
What size is the aquarium?

tljones

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2022
Thank you! It's a 90 gallon. I just removed the parrot from the tank as well since I read on a couple threads in here they are bullys and my chocolate seemed like he/she was afraid of it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you! It's a 90 gallon. I just removed the parrot from the tank as well since I read on a couple threads in here they are bullys and my chocolate seemed like he/she was afraid of it.
Sounds like the Chocolate Cichlid was the low one in rank among the other cichlids. Although you removed the parrot you may have another cichlid harass the chocolate cichlid. I would have removed the chocolate until it got back to health.

tljones

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2022
I have a sick tank but it is only 10 gallons. Would he be fine in there short period?

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
For the duration of treatment it would be fine as long as you maintain very good water quality. A 20 would be much better.

While these fish can cohabitate in a large system, 90 gallons doesn’t offer much territory and will only suffice for a handful of cichlids. They don’t like sharing space as they get older.

tljones

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2022
For the duration of treatment it would be fine as long as you maintain very good water quality. A 20 would be much better.

While these fish can cohabitate in a large system, 90 gallons doesn’t offer much territory and will only suffice for a handful of cichlids. They don’t like sharing space as they get older.
Ok. Thank you so much for your help! It is much appreciated!

Reactions: Deadeye

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Could be a runt or something, idk.
Add some bacteria supplement or feed it vitamin packed foods, multivitamin gut loaded crickets and dim the lights, or use a green LED bulb to simulate natural foliage deflection or panels of green plexiglass.
Put five or more black PVC tubes in there for him to hide in, or introduce duckweed and other plants.
Test the water often and place the in and out tubes of the canister filter at the top of the water to simulate a natural water flow, such as a small stream flowing into a tropical pond, creating a natural ecosystem where the fish feels free to swim toward the bottom of the aquarium where there would then be a more low and natural amount of water current.
These might help your fish relax and be its self like a fish in nature.
And could help the fish relax, causing less fighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store