Need Help Determining Species

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
You will always get someone to ruin things for the rest of us.
Yeah from what I remember I'm pretty certain it started with the Asian community back in the 50s bringing them in as a source of food/medicine and then eventually they just got out into the wild somehow (can't remember how) and just took over everything. It doesn't help that most ppl can't tell the difference between the northern snakehead and the native bowfin and end up killing the native specie by accident.

Reactions: tlindsey

snabb133

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2020
Sweden
These are not bleheri, these are Channa andrao.

Unlike bleheri these are a bit more aggressive, as these fish mature they'll form a pair and kill the rest.

I don't know how to sex them.
Interesting! I was thinking so too, but at the shop, the ones she sold as Channa Andrao, allthough similar, looked noticeably different in colouration at the same size as her ''Bleheri blues''. She told me all of her Channa juveniles are wild imported and therefore labeled/named correctly, and that they are not Channa Andrao. I specifically told her I did not want Channa Andrao lol. I guess I was fooled then :cry:

snabb133

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2020
Sweden
Me too. I'd love to have some but just can't get any sadly. Personally the one is like to get most is a channa pleuropthalma or maybe even a channa Barca.
Those are beauties! The Channa Barca is my dream Channa. Sadly they are really uncommon and extremely expensive, and rare. But the Aurantimaculata is the second one on the list, and more affordable :)

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Interesting! I was thinking so too, but at the shop, the ones she sold as Channa Andrao, allthough similar, looked noticeably different in colouration at the same size as her ''Bleheri blues''. She told me all of her Channa juveniles are wild imported and therefore labeled/named correctly, and that they are not Channa Andrao. I specifically told her I did not want Channa Andrao lol. I guess I was fooled then :cry:
[/
Will they allow you to return them?

snabb133

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2020
Sweden
I dont think so, I mean what am I supposed to say? Thank you for fooling me into believing they were Bleheri blues? :nilly:I might talk to her today and come up with something though. :)

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I dont think so, I mean what am I supposed to say? Thank you for fooling me into believing they were Bleheri blues? :nilly:I might talk to her today and come up with something though. :)
You can return fish here for cases like wrong identification. She misinformed you and should do the right thing to allow you to atleast exchange for correct Channa specie.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store