Need help! fish with eye damage

dsrowold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
st. louis
Last night my sun cat took a chunk of his eye out running into something. What can I do to help with recovery. Thanks in advance.

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
i guess it depends on how healthy/young the fish is and how clean the water is.... as far as medication, i'm not too sure (maybe add some stress coat)

my RD did the same thing (scratched his eye up pretty good) but recovered quickly since he's young and i try to keep my water as clean as possible. (thats my reasoning anyway)

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
I once had an angelfish who burned his eye pretty badly on a heater and it healed on its own in a few days. There's not even a mark left and he seems to see very well. Like midasman said, watch the water quality, and maybe try treating with antibacterial meds (melafix? don't know how well cats do with this) if you notice signs of infection.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
Just add some stress coat or prime. I wouldn't use any meds. You might add a degree or two.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
ziggy2;1404232; said:
Just add some stress coat or prime. I wouldn't use any meds. You might add a degree or two.
prime?:screwy:

keep up with the w/c's and add some aqaurium salt. and if its that bad bump up the temp.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
good clean, warm water is the best. Along with some aquarium salt and melafix

dsrowold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
st. louis
Thanks for the help. Right now the tank is at 78 degrees and at one teaspoon of salt per gallon. how high can I go with each? Is 82 and two teaspoons/gal a good level, or do they need to be higher?

niblit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Knee deep in fish
Ive got a rtc that lost an eye a long time ago id leave the tank how it is 78+one teaspoon salt per gal just keep your water really clean and dont stress the fish in any way.My rtc's eye healed over and now you can hardly tell he ever had an eye

dsrowold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
st. louis
well, somebody was picking on him today. It looks like the lens of his eye has been pulled out of the eye covering. Suspect it was the tinfoil barb. If I know he is getting picked on, should I isolate him? It won't save his eye but it will reduce the stress, help the healing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store