Need help identifying a spiny eel.

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Couple months ago I picked up this spiny eel at my LFS. They were branded as 'sharp nose eels' so that doesn't tell anyone a lot I think. So I did a quick search on my phone and found a lot of pictures of similar looking spiny eels called half banded eels. They stayed relatively small and one wouldn't have overcrowded the tank I was planning to put it in any time soon. (I run a peacock eel tank for a year now, 50Gallons with 4 peacock eels around 5-7" and for the past months this spiny eel living in it)

The eel is healthy as far as I can tell, it hides a lot though. My peacocks are usually all over the tank, this one just comes out during feeding time. Eats until the food is gone and dissapears again into whichever cave he hides during the day.

Problem is I started reading more about the 'half banded eel' or how they're also referred to sometimes as zigzag eels. Then I started reading in some places that there are 2 kinds of zigzag eels. The ones that don't exceed 8" and then the ones that grow quite large and are a different species of tire track eel (from what I've read) Problem is obviously, I have the space for a 8" eel but not for one that will grow to be the size of a tire track eel.. Depending on what it actually is I'll have to rehome it.

As of now the eel barely reaches 2.5".
Pictures:

Note: I know the gravel is not ideal, but I plan to change this tank to sand in the next 3 weeks. All depends when I finish the new stand for it. I'll have to empty it anyway to move it. I'm waiting to do it then rather than stress them out for no reason now, and again in 3 weeks or less.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to tell with the pics but the pattern doesn’t look to have a tire track pattern suggestive of the larger eels.

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
I can give it another attempt but the fish doesn't go far out for a good picture. I can also wait until i move the tank. Catching it out will allow a good view.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I can give it another attempt but the fish doesn't go far out for a good picture. I can also wait until i move the tank. Catching it out will allow a good view.
No worries. I’m sure it’ll come out on it’s own eventually.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Looks like Macrognathus pancalus? They have a sandy grey uniform speckled coloration. All the other Macrognathus species have stripes or dots in particular regions of the body.

He’s not fully visible in the picture but could also be Macrognathus circumcinctus. Google these two and see if any of the images look identical to your fish.

I could be wrong as it’s very small and it’s possible it is a cryptic juvenile coloration for camouflage

Joseppe

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
He’s not fully visible in the picture but could also be Macrognathus circumcinctus. Google these two and see if any of the images look identical to your fish.
I'm pretty sure it's Macrognathus circumcinctus. It looks almost identical to most images that pop up in google. I've been staring at that tank hoping it'll come out for a better picture. Didn't happen though. I did discover his hiding spot during the day and well.. there is NO WAY for me to get a good look at it, let alone a picture. It'll come out and happily eat during feeding time, but stays at the back of the tank behind pieces of driftwood and rocks.

This is the best picture I managed to get (and one of the peacock eels tried to steal the spotlight!)
Partially I blame the camera as well. The closer to get to a plant when trying to take a picture, the more "green tinted" the image becomes. That green tint also hides it's pattern a bit IMO. It's more clear when you look at it with your own eyes.
Ontop of that I use very weak lights (which have a bit of a yellowish color rather than bright white). I do plan to change the lamps out somewhere this week to white LED's.

Either way, I'm happy that i'm about 90% positive now that it is Macrognathus circumcinctus. I definitely do not have the room to permanently house another 20" eel or bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store