Need help IDing these 3

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
Sorry for the bad pics. I am having trouble finding anything close to these 3 guys. If anyone can help, that would be great!! If they are common, sorry for the noobness.

Fish #1

Salmon orange and white. Fins have salmon color spots over transparent blueish white fins.

Fish #2

Green brown color with dark stripes. Yellow to red fade on top of head.

Fish #3

This guy is always swimming. Does not like to stay still. Thats why pic is blurry. He has a bright orange to yellow fade from nose all the way to the end of the dorsal. Mostly brown with dark stripes. Some electric green on the cheeks.

Thanks for the help. I just want to know a little more about these guys.

RAYKEYPR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
CAMBRIA, MICHIGAN
looks like the last on may be an otopharynx lithobates, great fish by the way.
bright blue with yellow strip right down the middle?

pick up a copy of cichlids the pictorial guide volume one and two. they are handy

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
RAYKEYPR said:
pick up a copy of cichlids the pictorial guide volume one and two. they are handy
Sweet.. thanks for the suggestion. I am always looking for good books.

RAYKEYPR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
CAMBRIA, MICHIGAN
that first one is a tough one. did you pick them up at a store? breeder? just to let you know, i personally stay clear from tanks that say "assorted cichlids". they just scare me.
as you get into the hobby more, or buy the books, and take them with you, you'll be able to identify them better.
the orange reminds me of a zebra, but..........just don't think thats what it is,
any suggestions guys???????

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
RAYKEYPR said:
that first one is a tough one. did you pick them up at a store? breeder? just to let you know, i personally stay clear from tanks that say "assorted cichlids". they just scare me.
Yeah... I picked them up in a store and yes.. in the assorted african tank. Usually they have the same breeds in other tanks that are labeled, but not these guys. They were totally different and if you see them in person, they look pretty cool. Its like blindly picking for candy out of a grab bag. You just might pick up something sweet!

I was thinking zebra as well, but the patterns on the fins are odd..

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
I would say the 1st photo is a mongrel. Cross breed mbnuna. Colour doesn't look right to me. Looks to be too artificial. The next two photo's I would say are both from the Haplochromis group of fish. Ist one looks something from the Copadichromis species and the other is possibly an Otopharynx species. Be careful when you see mixed fish advertised at a rather cheap price as these will tend to be poor specimen. If you are able to purchase fish from a supplier that has the different species seperate and named all the better. Enjoy them anyway.
:naughty: :confused: :clap :thumbsup: :headbang2

fishman76092

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2005
Trophy Club, TX
#1 is a hybrid/line bred fish called a strawberry peacock (Aulonacara spp.)
#2 in the first set of pix is Aul. sp 'yellow collar'
#3 is a hybrid between an Otoph. lithobates and what looks to be an Aulonacara spp.

RAYKEYPR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
CAMBRIA, MICHIGAN
i had to learn the hard way too!!! it really is all in ones opinion, if you like them that is all that matters. some of the best looking colored fish are peacocks of some sort or another, and i learned that peacocks will breed with anything, at least the ones i had.
i adventually got away from them, because i have been breeding others, and now they don't get in the way. i wish i had thier mojo!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store