Need Help! Peacock Mantis Shrimp

L.Z.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2016
Having a Peacock Mantis Shrimp has been a goal of mine for a while!

My biggest concern is the glass. I have a GLASS 20 long gallon that i bought from Petco. I've heard that they can easily break glass!

I really dont want to buy another tank but if i have too i will.

I also read putting a sheet of acrylic to the bottom can help since they like to burrow.
What i want to know is if there is any way to add acrylic sheets all around to my glass tank
OR
If i'm alright with the glass.?

Any and all inputs would be a big help!
Thank you!!

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
from my experience with mantis shrimps I never experienced a aquarium glass break, yes it can and does happen but is usually from owners provoking them to attack something they hold on the other side of the glass.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bobbybillymike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2016
Richmond
You should be alright with glass. Like Mr. Reef said, the only reason they strike the tank is if they're provoked. When I had one I always fed him with a long pair of feeding tongs so it wouldn't accidentally strike the glass when going after prey. Also, be sure to put any rocks or decorations directly on the bottom glass then fill with sand to avoid collapses. PVC hidden behind the rocks or under the sand will provide some already made borrows. Awesome animal! You're going to love it!

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Having a Peacock Mantis Shrimp has been a goal of mine for a while!

My biggest concern is the glass. I have a GLASS 20 long gallon that i bought from Petco. I've heard that they can easily break glass!

I really dont want to buy another tank but if i have too i will.

I also read putting a sheet of acrylic to the bottom can help since they like to burrow.
What i want to know is if there is any way to add acrylic sheets all around to my glass tank
OR
If i'm alright with the glass.?

Any and all inputs would be a big help!
Thank you!!
Use acrylic instead. If you MUST use glass, put acryllic on the sides and the bottom of the tank anyway. Glass shatters, acrylic, however, is plastic based so it can survive.

Five.five-six

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2018
Of course, every time I have seen a mantis shrimp, I have had this increadable urge to provoke ti ti strike the tank to get at my finger. I’d get a used acrylic tank.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store