Need help planning for my Malagasy and CA growouts

Fishuation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
I have a few different species that I am growing out and I am trying to plan for their future...I am wondering what you would combine out of the following and would a 125 suffice or do I need to spring for a 210

I have the following growing out:
Paratilapia sp. andapa
Paretroplus menarambo
Paretroplus dambabe
Herichthys carpinitis escondido
Hemichromis frempongi

I also have 1 lone male Cuban
1 lone male gb flowerhorn
I unsexed Herichthys pearsei

What tank would you make out of these I have a 125 and 100 running that can be used , the Cuban is in a 55 I might move the flowerhorn to his own 75...I don’t really want to mix him with the wild types

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
I'm no expert, but I passed up a group of menarambo recently because I didn't think my standard 180g (same footprint as 210g) would be large enough for full grown adults.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Ryan

My menerambo hit about 14-15" in two years and the 3 alone, outgrew a 150 gal, moved to a 300 gal.
They started becoming very aggressive as space dwindled.
Same with some Paratilapia "Andapa", and Paretroplus maculates at about that age, they were moved to a 500 gallon kiddy pool.

Fishuation

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Interesting I read a breeding report on cichlidae.com that said 10 inches in 3 years and indicated they were breeding them in 125s....I have 6 menarambo and 4 dam babe I essentially was going to Widdle that down to a pair each...I don’t mind setting up a kiddie pool but I hate to observe my fish like that...seems I have a lot to think about

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As sub adults mine also spawned in tanks as small as 125s, but I was never able to keep them from eating the eggs, and as full adults, aggression became too intense in those small spaces, (for me anyway).

The only Madagascans I had successful spawns in such small tanks were Ptychochromis.

The Paretroplus did better in large foot print shallow pools

Reactions: Fishuation
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store