Need help, rare pleco not eating

Connor Mills

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2018
So I don’t know why my pleco is not eating and it’s not moving much either. I have it in a breeder box in my 55 gallon tank. I don’t want to move it to the bigger part of the tank yet because I want to get rid of the big bala shark first. I just got it last thursday and it’s hasnt eaten a bit, although it is getting a good kick out the algae. It’s roughly 1.5 inches and is an albino adonis pleco. I’ve only fed it one type of food and I am now wondering if I should feed it a different one. I’m feeding regular non-blanched cucumber to the rest of the plecos in my tank and I think I might try that with the Adonis pleco too. Plus my water parameters are fine. Give me opinions on what I should do please.

Connor Mills

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2018
Update : I have taken him out of his breeder box and he’s doing a little bit better, he’s definitely moving more than he was. Just now I am noticing that one of his fins is out more than the other, I don’t know if this means it’s damaged or not but hopefully not. That’s all, still not eating thanks bye

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Connor Mills

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2018
I was just replyin okay I don’t have zucchini but I’m already trying the cucumber so I’ll get zucchini in the next few days so for now I’m going to wait and see

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Sometimes it takes a fish a day of so to start eating with gusto after a change of habitat. I try to find out what exactly the type and brand of food if applicable from the dealer/pet keeper where the fish in question was obtained.
Usually my new fish start eating right away. I phase in my food with what the dealer has. Many fish have the survivor instinct and will eat anything within the dietary parameters of their species but some are particular.

I have a pair of Senegals that stopped eating the fortified variety pellets (shrimp, beef, tilapia--each in it's own pellet.)that I had fed them for some time. I switched them to Aqueon Bottom Feeder Tablets and they eat those fine for now, while my other bottom feeders still prefer the other tablets. I will try adding back the oringal tablets for variety. I have welll planted tanks, and algae that pops up. Occasionally add greens when I add greens to my Birds. Don't have Plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store