NEED HELP...Sick Rope Fish

Ryanj426

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello. My rope fish (Noodle) managed to get very sick. I don't know what the disease exactly is but I'm treating it as if it were cotton mouth. It happened when I went on vacation for a week and a half. When I got home I realized something was very wrong so I measured all my parameters and they were all fairly stable, my nitrates were high (Cause I wasn't there to do my usual water changes) but I did one when I returned. I need help identifying the disease, curing it, or if hes too far gone, should I euthanize him. The disease has eaten away at his gill plate and his pectoral fin on his right side. It had not infected any of the other fish in the tank so I moved him to a 20 gallon high cause I wasn't taking my chances. (I know that is too small for him its just what I have at the moment. His usual tank is 60 gallons.)

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would keep it in the 20g to easily dose meds and watch.

Is it acting normal or feeding?

Would add salt 1tsp per gallon. Add some api fungus cure and triple sulfa. Keep the water clean with Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate <40 ppm. You’ll have manage with water changes as abx will mess with your B.B.

Reactions: thefredpit

Ryanj426

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Would keep it in the 20g to easily dose meds and watch.

Is it acting normal or feeding?

Would add salt 1tsp per gallon. Add some api fungus cure and triple sulfa. Keep the water clean with Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate <40 ppm. You’ll have manage with water changes as abx will mess with your B.B.
Thanks. It is acting normal but I haven't seen it eat. I tried a few pieces of blood worms and krill and he didn't like either.

billy robbins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
looks like he was bitten?
He said he was gone for a week and a half, if no body was feeding them it would only seem natural to me that he was attacked . Depending on the tamkmates of course. Surly though someone had to been feeding them.

Ryanj426

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
He said he was gone for a week and a half, if no body was feeding them it would only seem natural to me that he was attacked . Depending on the tamkmates of course. Surly though someone had to been feeding them.
Yes, I had a friend come over and feed them every other day. He couldn't have been bitten, I don't think so at least. His tank mates are an Angelfish, a peacock eel, and 5 Corry Cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store