Need help with diagnosis and recomendations

Trevor Steinmeyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
My red pike has had large white spots that have grown on his sides. I have tried melafix and pimafix, treated for parasites, and also treated with api em erythromycin, none had any positive results.

IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg IMG_0351.jpg IMG_0352.jpg

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
I am going to assume that he is in a quarantine tank as it looks way to small to be his regular tank.

What are the water parameters in this tank?
What are the water parameters of the tank he came from ?
What other fish were in the tank ?

its hard to tell in those photos but to me it looks bacterial as it seems to have eaten into the fishes flesh

If you can answer the above questions and maybe get a better photo good advice can be offered
I do not want to offer medication advice without knowing those answers

Trevor Steinmeyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
Yes he is in a quarantine tank.

His water parameters have always been fairly hard water with high ph and alkalinity, the nitrates rarely go above 60-80 ppm.

He was houses with some kelberi peacock bass that were smaller than him.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Trevor Steinmeyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
Ammonia has been zero for years and yes I shake my test bottle and the nitrates been under 60-80 ppm consistently due to the large water changes I do atleast once a week.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
60-80 is way to high imo. Definitely not a healing type of environment either.

Looks to be bacteria in which case keeping temps cooler will be beneficial to prevent quick spreading.

How fast did it grow? How did it start? When did you notice? Tankmakes aggressive? Current main tank temp?

Is the fish flashing alot? Diet? New fish introduced recently?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Trevor Steinmeyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
60-80 is way to high imo. Definitely not a healing type of environment either.

Looks to be bacteria in which case keeping temps cooler will be beneficial to prevent quick spreading.

How fast did it grow? How did it start? When did you notice? Tankmakes aggressive? Current main tank temp?

Is the fish flashing alot? Diet? New fish introduced recently?
In his quarantine tank his nitrates never reach 40 ppm. His temperature is roughly 78. And his spots started small like and grew to this current size in about a month. He was never with aggressive tank mates, he was always the most aggressive in the tank.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would treat with Seachem Kanaplex (gram negative) and Methylene Blue. Methylene blue will stain silicone. If you can't get those locally, see if you can get Seachem Paraguard locally, which also stains silicone but not as bad as MB. If you don't see improvement with Paraguard after 1 week, then go to the Kanaplex and MB treatment for 1 week. Make sure to due a very large water change in between treatment. Do not dose MB or Paraguard in less than 1 hour of adding water conditioner.

Paraguard treatment is not the same as the Kanaplex and MB treatment.

Last edited:

Trevor Steinmeyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2018
more information about how I kept this fish before his infection, he was kept with two smaller kelberi peacock bass in a 125 gallon where they were fed northfin floating food sticks daily and a 50-60 percent water change was preformed weekly. All fish that entered the system were quarantined for a minimum of 4 weeks and treated for parasites. I have never had an aggression or water quality issue with this tank. I have never seen an infection like he has and was wondering if anyone had and what to possible treat the infection with.

After I noticed his white spots developing I moved him to a 40 gallon quarantine tank to treat him with melafix and pimafix, then I tried a mild parasite medication, I have also tried api em erythromycin, none of this have helped the infection at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store