Need help with Jardini

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Hi I have a 15" Jardini. He had tail rot about 10 months ago but did get better. Recently it is looking like it is coming back. Water quality is perfect, 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. Ph 7.6. Diet is Superworms, some nightcrawlers. Any advice I would appreciate. He is in a 60"x24"x24" tank temperature is 82, 40% water change twice a week. Thank you.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Well the fish is by itself and I maintain regular water changes like I said twice a week. Before a change it might be 3 ppm. But back to 0 after water change.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
How long has the tank been running? Anything change with the tank and/or tank mates?

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
The tank has been set up for about a year, media was transferred from previous tank. He had this before and after numerous treatments I got it to clear up. And just within the last week it looks like it is back. He is still missing a portion that never grew back. Wondering if it is diet related. Before he was only eating nightcrawlers when his tail got bad. I switched him to superworms and he got well. I just recently (past month) tried nightcrawlers again and he is having issues. But would like a better diet than Superworms.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Wow. Hopefully you get the answer. Not my area but I am impressed the nitrates are zero. I am doing 75% water changes at minimum every 5 days and can’t get there.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The tank has been set up for about a year, media was transferred from previous tank. He had this before and after numerous treatments I got it to clear up. And just within the last week it looks like it is back. He is still missing a portion that never grew back. Wondering if it is diet related. Before he was only eating nightcrawlers when his tail got bad. I switched him to superworms and he got well. I just recently (past month) tried nightcrawlers again and he is having issues. But would like a better diet than Superworms.
The water quality is good and it's not getting picked on. Do you have anything else in the tank? Based on what you've stated, I would at least try to change/vary its diet. Ideally, get it on a staple pellet diet. That likely won't happen overnight so at least switching to shrimp, tilapia, grasshopper just to change from any worms. At 15", it's ok for it to not eat for at least a few days and you can introduce try some pellets.

I have a ~5' jardini and training it some NLS floating pellets as well.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Th
Wow. Hopefully you get the answer. Not my area but I am impressed the nitrates are zero. I am doing 75% water changes at minimum every 5 days and can’t get there.
Thank you, wow that is hard to believe. I have the same problem with nitrate in my other tank. Just can't get the numbers down.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
The water quality is good and it's not getting picked on. Do you have anything else in the tank? Based on what you've stated, I would at least try to change/vary its diet. Ideally, get it on a staple pellet diet. That likely won't happen overnight so at least switching to shrimp, tilapia, grasshopper just to change from any worms. At 15", it's ok for it to not eat for at least a few days and you can introduce try some pellets.

I have a ~5' jardini and training it some NLS floating pellets as well.
Thanks, So he doesn't have any tank mates. I think I will try and change up his diet. He did like prawns at one time so I will try those again. I will look into pellets as well. Is NLS your choice for pellets? I have some food sticks but he didn't take them. I will try again. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks, So he doesn't have any tank mates. I think I will try and change up his diet. He did like prawns at one time so I will try those again. I will look into pellets as well. Is NLS your choice for pellets? I have some food sticks but he didn't take them. I will try again. Thanks

I have had Leichardti's before and fed Hikari carne sticks and then jumbo sticks. I started them while young, but I still think you can train your Jar. Based on what I've read, I decide to also try NLS. To be honest, I think it may be easier to get your Jar starting Hikari than NLS. I've used both and it hits the Hikari harder. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store