Need help with my 2 channa aurantimaculatas

Gigafishh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2022
Hello everyone

I recently bought 2 aurantimaculata snakeheads (the bigger one is 6.5 inches long and the smaller one measures 4 inches) as the seller told me they could be a pair but after getting them they didn't behave like that so i divided the tank (the tank measures 48x18x18 inches) in two parts 30 inches for the bigger one and 18 inches for the smaller one the divider has big enough holes so that the smaller can pass through them and go on both sides of tank.

I plan to buy a another aquarium for the smaller one soon but, how long do you think they can be kept like this?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
headbanger_jib headbanger_jib

Reactions: Krismo962

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Hello everyone

I recently bought 2 aurantimaculata snakeheads (the bigger one is 6.5 inches long and the smaller one measures 4 inches) as the seller told me they could be a pair but after getting them they didn't behave like that so i divided the tank (the tank measures 48x18x18 inches) in two parts 30 inches for the bigger one and 18 inches for the smaller one the divider has big enough holes so that the smaller can pass through them and go on both sides of tank.

I plan to buy a another aquarium for the smaller one soon but, how long do you think they can be kept like this?
Channa conspecific aggression is relentless, unless they're actually a pair, it's not gonna work, they're good jumpers as well.

The size at which you've got them, they can't be sexed.

Better get a divider that doesn't allow them to enter each other's territory

Reactions: kno4te

Gigafishh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2022
Channa conspecific aggression is relentless, unless they're actually a pair, it's not gonna work, they're good jumpers as well.

The size at which you've got them, they can't be sexed.

Better get a divider that doesn't allow them to enter each other's territory
Thank you for replying

Yes i know that they won't work together if they are not a pair and that is why i divided the tank.
Unfortunately the holes in the divider are big enough for the smaller channa to pass through them, even if i put net on the holes he still goes to the other side by jumping above the divider and gets back if the bigger channa chases him. Also, i have divided the tank for just enough time till i can get permission from my parents for another tank and that is why i am asking that how long can the smaller channa stay in this 18x18 inches divided part of tank till his growth is in danger, can he stay in this tank for a month?.
Thank you

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Thank you for replying

Yes i know that they won't work together if they are not a pair and that is why i divided the tank.
Unfortunately the holes in the divider are big enough for the smaller channa to pass through them, even if i put net on the holes he still goes to the other side by jumping above the divider and gets back if the bigger channa chases him. Also, i have divided the tank for just enough time till i can get permission from my parents for another tank and that is why i am asking that how long can the smaller channa stay in this 18x18 inches divided part of tank till his growth is in danger, can he stay in this tank for a month?.
Thank you
Channa aurantimaculata come from sluggish waters, so you can keep em in smaller containers for a while without any issue for a short period of time, but I would suggest you to give the smaller one back.

Aurantimaculata can grow big, most articles inform the aurantimaculata to only grow to 16-17", i have personally grown my specimen to nearly 19", and have seen 20"+ specimens that were caught from the wild post flood season

Reactions: Gigafishh

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Here's a few pics of my old beast

DSC_3659.jpg

DSC_3658.jpg

Gigafishh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2022
Channa aurantimaculata come from sluggish waters, so you can keep em in smaller containers for a while without any issue for a short period of time, but I would suggest you to give the smaller one back.

Aurantimaculata can grow big, most articles inform the aurantimaculata to only grow to 16-17", i have personally grown my specimen to nearly 19", and have seen 20"+ specimens that were caught from the wild post flood season
Thank you for replying!
I can't give the smaller one back to the seller as he won't take him back and i don't want to give it to the lfs as all my lfs keep fishes very poorly half of the fishes are either dead or dying and all of them have illness nor there are any good fish keepers here almost all them have a 20 gallon tank with iridescent sharks, goldfish and oscar.
In a month i will be able to make a 42x12x12 inch tank for the smaller one and the bigger channa will stay in this 48x18x18 inch tank for now.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
In a month i will be able to make a 42x12x12 inch tank for the smaller one and the bigger channa will stay in this 48x18x18 inch tank for now.
These fish grow big and are active swimmers, but these fish are also very flexible so tight space they can navigate quite well, mine used to live in a 90 gallon that was filled to the brim with branchy driftwood

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Wow, he's magnificent!
What did you feed him and how often?
How old is he?
This fish i kept nearly 15 years ago
I was new to channa, so I used to feed this one every day.

It was a prolific eater, so
Ghost Shrimp
Hikari floating pellets
Super worms
Meal worms
Dried ghost Shrimp
Was fed

Aurantimaculata would do better with little to no current in the water, a bit of nitrates in the water is acceptable.

They like driftwood and sand for decor, as they dig and rest in the midst of driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store