• Total voters

roman24

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2011
socal
hello all,

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
i recently picked up 5 indos from another mfker and brought them home, smallest is 2.5-3" biggest 4" or right around there. i had them in a 20gal long just to make sure they ate and everything, i just set up a 55or 60 gallon for them and put them in.
i have them with 1 4" royal pleco and one 3.5" butterfly pleco and 3 bichirs biggest bichir is 5".
my question is what can i do to help them come out more(which i think will help them stabilizing)? i've had datnoids before but always in tanks with aros, catfish, and other eating monsters, and never had a problem with stability or coming out.
any suggestions or comments would be helpful!

image.jpg

roman24

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2011
socal
K krichardson i have come to understand that you seem to be the dat master here! your input would be greatly appreciated...
thanks!

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
For starters try dimming the lights, they don't like bright lights. Also add something to the tank that's more outgoing.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson i have come to understand that you seem to be the dat master here! your input would be greatly appreciated...
thanks!
Haha....thanks for the flattery but I'm no master.I'm just a student of them as they are my favorite fish species....now then,I agree with Isde's post and I would remove all of the hiding places to get them used to being out all the time.Just give them plenty of time to get comfortable in the tank.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Agree with what others have mentioned. Taking away hiding spots will get them swimming. Of course, they'll hide in any one of the bottom corners as indos do. Keep the lighting on often cuz they'll just get use to it. Might as well put some live plants in there, lol. Eventually, what ends up happening is that as they get use to their surroundings. They'll recognize you as being the 'hand that feeds' and come up to the top. Maybe introduce several other non aggressive species of fish in there to increase dat activity.

Reactions: roman24

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
This photo is a couple years old. Not a great example since it was during a water change. But this is how the activity looked half the time.

.jpg

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
think of them as a german shepard puppy..shy and scary when young..even after a couple years, big but still scary..they gradually grow into their confidence with you and themselves..I think the dim bare tank is the best environment to get them use to their surroundings, you, and each other. look at Datnoid tanks on YouTube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store