Need some advice on pricing these Africian cichlids

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I need to sell the following fish. I'm in the Chicagoland area if that makes a difference. General prices are fine. Trying to get a ballpark number.

1. Fully grown 6 inch bumblebee cichlid

2. Acei cichlid 6 inch

3. OB Zebra cichlid 5 inch

4. Pearl Cobalt cichlid 5 inch
Also a 4 inch Pimelodus blochii catfish.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
All common fish you can buy at big box stores for under 10$ as juveniles. I wouldn't expect much cash for them. You'll probably have to find buyers locally unless you get someone to buy the whole group, since nobody will want to pay shipping for individual cheap fish. Your best bet is probably your local aquatic society/club auction.

Reactions: RD. and deeda

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
All common fish you can buy at big box stores for under 10$ as juveniles. I wouldn't expect much cash for them. You'll probably have to find buyers locally unless you get someone to buy the whole group, since nobody will want to pay shipping for individual cheap fish. Your best bet is probably your local aquatic society/club auction.
Yeah I don't think there are any local aquatic societies around me that have a site where I could post stuff. I'm aware of one but they have maybe 4 meetings a year to sell items and I'm not a true vendor so it wouldn't be worth it to join with the fees involved.

I'm strictly targeting local folks to sell them. I can post ad here in case somebody wanted them all. At their sizes what would you figure a general price would be?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Chicago has probably the largest cichlid association in the country.
https://www.gcca.net/
I'd start there, post on forums. Most aquatic societies will have auctions either seasonally or monthly where you can bring a few fish, maybe pay a small fee, and have them auctioned off.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Cool thanks I'll post there. Hoping to get a better idea of price to post at as well.
price depends on what people are willing to pay. 40-50$ for that group of fish seems reasonable to me. Could ask for more or less depending on how badly you need to sell, and negotiate with people.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used drive the 90 miles from Milwaukee to go to GCCA auctions, meetings, and swap meets all the time.
African cichlids are very popular there, post on their forum classified section, you don't need to be a member tp post an ad.
There is all the Greenwater Aquarium society.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I used drive the 90 miles from Milwaukee to go to GCCA auctions, meetings, and swap meets all the time.
African cichlids are very popular there, post on their forum classified section, you don't need to be a member tp post an ad.
There is all the Greenwater Aquarium society.
Cool thanks I'll check them out also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store