Need Some Help: What Should I Put in My 10 Gallon?

Choose Best Stocking

• Option 1: Celestial Pearl Danios with Shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! While I didn't want to create a whole new thread to do this, I need some help choosing what to put in my 10 gallon tank. I have a lot of ideas but I don't want to overdo it and also I want it to look good. The options in the above poll are what I've been thinking about the most.

I know someone is going to say this, so I will get this out of the way, I'm aware that it is ultimately my choice, but I just need some help deciding.

Thank y'all in advance :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Voting a modified option 4 - I’d do the guppies and shrimp and drop the cories - they are notoriously tough to keep. I’ve never had any that last more than a few weeks before dying for no apparent reason.
I’ve got a 10 right now that’s set up as my “no maintenance” tank - it’s just shrimp, snails, and guppies, loaded with plants to keep me from needing to do water changes more than every few months. Even feeding is scarce as everything grazes on the plants and algae.
It’s nice to have a tank I do t have to worry about at all and just get to sit back and watch.

Alternatively, if you’re up for a challenge, get a dwarf puffer.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Voting a modified option 4 - I’d do the guppies and shrimp and drop the cories - they are notoriously tough to keep. I’ve never had any that last more than a few weeks before dying for no apparent reason.
I’ve got a 10 right now that’s set up as my “no maintenance” tank - it’s just shrimp, snails, and guppies, loaded with plants to keep me from needing to do water changes more than every few months. Even feeding is scarce as everything grazes on the plants and algae.
It’s nice to have a tank I do t have to worry about at all and just get to sit back and watch.

Alternatively, if you’re up for a challenge, get a dwarf puffer.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm definitely looking for something a tad bit more low-maintenance, so the guppies and shrimp are one of my top of the top options lol. When you say a lot of plants, how many are we talking here? Perhaps a picture of your setup?

Reactions: Deadeye

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Well I've narrowed my options down to two:

1. Betta, CPDs, and an Asian Stone Catfish (or two)

2. Guppies and Shrimp

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think bettas are a bit more interesting than guppies so I would go for option 1.
I agree. I've been leaning towards that because there is a specific betta variety I want that is so beautiful, and I've seen it a bunch in my area.

0wen_96

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Wallingford, PA
Well I've narrowed my options down to two:

1. Betta, CPDs, and an Asian Stone Catfish (or two)

2. Guppies and Shrimp
I would be careful with the betta and CPDs. There's a lot of chasing in my betta tank and one of my guppies already got one of her tail fin bitten off. I'm planning on moving them to my larger CA tank. Of course that depends on the temperament of your betta. Some are mean and some are not 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store