Need some help with tank mates, tank decor, and amount of fish i can have.

Ominae

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
LA
I have a 40 gallon tank and I love datnoids. I understand that the tank is too small for grown adults, but I plan to purchase datnoids around 2inches, grow them, then rotate them out (selling/trading) for smaller ones when they get too large. How many datnoids should I keep in my tank? Are they more fond of having a couple friends or should i keep one solo?

For the tank size as well, what are some suitable tank mates (cichlids, bass, tiger barbs, etc.)? I want the tank to be a community tank, really like bichirs, ghost knives, some cichlids, flowerhorns, etc. Of course, also rotating fish out as they get too big.

Also what sort of environment do datnoids prefer? I was thinking sand bottom with some wood and fake plants here and there.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
in my opinion, I wouldn't get datnoids I had one in a 75 gallon tank for like 3 or 4 months then my pleco got ich and transferred it o the dat and the dat died RIP but I always felt it was not enough for him. no offense but I would have NEVER put him in my 50! chances of rotating fish are pretty slim considering having to find market everytime, and depending on the fish you may only have it for like a month and let me tell ya its a HASSLE. By the fish you named above I can tell you like predatory and rarity. and like you said none of the fish you said above can live in a 40 for life. Maybe.... 1 or 2 senegal bichirs but that would be it pretty much. but i'd recommend maybe like a few pike cichlids and maybe an figure eight puffer. maybe like you said also you want a community tank, a tank wih lots of different color gouramis would look awesome and get like some fake colorful plants to make the whole tank look awesome.

Reactions: Blakewater

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’d highly suggest you upgrade before taking on fish you know will outgrow your tank. Not just for size but for filtration and the happiness of the fish. Use your dedication towards the fish to prompt you to set up a better situation first. Datnoids get much larger with each inch of length growth and it’s more than just a 5” fish. As for tank mates, most things I consider good get far too big for your tank and please don’t even consider putting a bass in there. Most small community fish will get eaten and most fish that can hold their own will quickly outgrow your tank. If you can’t upgrade there are plenty of other nice community fish you can keep without so many if’s and but’s regarding their care but you wouldn’t keep a baby mastiff in a 12x12 room until you couldn’t keep it anymore so I wouldn’t advise keeping that mentality towards any other animals. Datnoids are very smart and can show when they feel unhappy and cramped. My last point is that when your datnoid does grow I can guarantee you will become very attached to it and not want to rehome it. They tend to act very much like puppies and as a final heads up I assure you that you will wish you gave it more room growing and will be highly unlikely to want to see it go.

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store