Need some Pond ADVICE

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I recently purchased a home that has a pond located in the back yard. After one year of trying to maintain this pond I quickly found out how much of a pain it was. For one it don't have a skimmer and for two there isn't any filtration other than the pump that pumps water into a higher level and filters through a waterfall. The sellers simply had a Rubbermaid tote with the pump inside the tote. With lava rocks surrounding the pump inside the tote and holes drilled in the totes. Now my question is what would be the best and easiest way to add some filtration to this pond without having to redo the whole pond? Please help :) I can't deal with another year like last. It was a horrible pain.!

Pond 2.jpg

Pond 1.jpg

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I dont think you necessarily need additional filtration but surface skimmer maybe useful
Well the problem that I'm running into is the bottom has like a sludge built up. It tends to settle to the bottom and you can't really tell that its there. "That is until a fish swims lol then all that sludge gets lifted up as if it was a cloud.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I suppose you could increase mechanical filtration if you are seeing unsightly sludge/mulm. You maybe able to just increase your flow rate by upgrading pump and adding media like filter floss. I was thinking your current filter set up with water plants provides a fair amount of surface area for biological filtration tho.

Reactions: d3adlydesignz

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
Right. I honestly don't know much when it comes to ponds. Let alone what works and don't. Lol

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Add a single tilapia to eat the sludge,add water arum and other plants to the waterfall to increase filtration and scoop some of the bottom sludge out.

Reactions: d3adlydesignz

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
Ok so after some research I plan on doing the following. Getting 2 55 gallon drums. First one cutting it into a skimmer for the pond. 2nd one cutting in half and making it into a filter that overflows into the waterfall. Also I'm going to dig the upper part of the waterfall a little deeper and put some gravel in it. So then I can just gravel vac the top part of the waterfall as needed. And also provided a additional level of filtration. And finally once the sludge is taken care of I will be adding a submersible pump that is set into the bottom that pumps into the filter. If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know. Also I will posy DIY photos as I work on it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store