Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Need suggestions

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by DRUKENMUNKY, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:45 AM.

1. DRUKENMUNKY

DRUKENMUNKY Feeder Fish

jeff
      Today at 11:14 AM
      Didn't even think to ask you all but after reading a thread on another section I just realized you all can probably help me. Need stocking ideas for a tall tank I bought on a spur cuz it was practically free but now I been stuck with no clue on what to put in it. Bought it on pure reflex without thinking of fish. 30 inches by 30 inches by 4 feet tall. I'm not into discuss or angel dishes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Screenshot_20190111-003026_Gallery.jpg

Backfromthedead likes this.
    2. phreeflow

phreeflow Dovii

Today at 8:26 PM
      Cool looking tank...you can do a lot of gradients to display fish that occupy different zones. Stocking depends on the type of fish your into. Are you wanting monster fish or community?

Something like clouded archers up top, some midwater dwellers like silver dollars or a group of frontosa, and some nice exotic plecos or loaches would look nice on the bottom.

3. DRUKENMUNKY

DRUKENMUNKY Feeder Fish

jeff
      I already have 2 large monsterfish stocked tanks so im open to non monsterfish type suggestions. Im not really into the small tetra type community tho. Frontosa would be cool but ive already bred 2 types in the past. I have actually considered an archer tank but i side of me feels it would it be pain to service a tank so tall with branches and such. i tested it and have to use a 4ft ladder to to even get my hands in

4. Kittiee Katt

Kittiee Katt Redtail Catfish

Ebbi
      Today at 10:06 AM
      What about (dare I say) some kind of African rift tank? You could make some very nice tall structures for the fish to swim in.

I'm not usually a fan of African rift tanks (compared to CA/SA tanks) but I feel like Africans could look really nice in there.

I once seen a tank similar (3' almost cube, 3.5' tall) set up with Africans and I have to admit it was one of the nicest tanks I've seen in person. The rock was all built up in the middle and the fish could swim around and through the structure. It housed a colony of black and orange tropheus and some cuckoo synos and looked beautiful.
      Just make sure if you do go that route that you join the rocks together with something that holds firm, and make sure they can't tip over and kill your fish/smash your tank.. :)

5. Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead Redtail Catfish

Joe roades
      Today at 8:18 PM
      I like that tank! 30x30 is a decent footprint to work with.

If its me, i would put the tank in a corner. Cut and fix a couple pieces of flat driftwood (mopani works great) into the back corner at varying depths to arrange several "shelf" type structures in the tank.

Stock with a multitude of african tetras and some smaller congo cichlids and syno cats.

I would also suggest a powerful air pump and sponge filter to drive water up from the depths of the tank and aid in oxygenation. Have you given any though to filtration?

6. Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus Redtail Catfish

Matt
      Today at 8:15 PM
      Saltwater eel. Dragon moray? Tall rock structure. Use acrylic rods to support it or one of the million reef cement products out there

Backfromthedead likes this.
    7. Mitchell The Monster

Mitchell The Monster Plecostomus

Mitchell
      Today at 10:03 AM
      Monodactylus argenteus
      I forget the common name but maybe a big group of these if you are down for a brackish/saltwater tank.

8. bobblehead27

bobblehead27 Candiru

Monday at 7:20 PM
      Maybe some sort of half aquarium half vivarium/terrarium... You could have frogs or lizards or tarantulas or something that does well in high humidity up top, and some sort of dwarf cichlid thing or oddball thing going on underneath.

Seedy J likes this.
    9. bobblehead27

bobblehead27 Candiru

Monday at 7:20 PM
      Could be turtles or crabs too or snakes .I'd prefer something that climbs to fill the top up tho.

10. DRUKENMUNKY

DRUKENMUNKY Feeder Fish

jeff
      I want to take advantage of the height but at the same consider how hard the maintenance will be. The tank has two holes predrilled on the bottom for 1 inch bulk heads which i was thinking could be intake lines for a pressurized canister (fx6) and it also has a huge overflow at the top of which i was thinking to feed a 2nd cannister. The opening up top isnt the biggest for servicing so im leaning towards a very thin layer of sand or bare bottom. I found a very very cool product at a reptile store called MAGNATURALS FLOATING CAVES and was gonna test it if the plastic on it was fish safe for floating cave action options. My wife wants me to get another fahaka as i had one like 15 years ago and it was her favorite but i already have a mbu in my 240. I been stumped on this project for a while....closest thing i been considering is the puffer for wifey or maybe even a colorful tanganikan set of dwarf cichlids but i been there and done that already...hoping you folks can help me think of something i never done before. This project has made me realize that most of the fish ive kept need swim space horizontally lol

#10 DRUKENMUNKY, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM
      Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM