Need sump help

vtnamezeboi

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2005
It's my first time running a sump. Currently have a RS-200 gen 3 sump. My issue is the sump isn't getting enough water to pump back into the tank. It only cycles properly when my tank water is filled max. But after 2-3 days I guess water precipitates and I end up having to put the pump sump to min pump settings. What I did was hooked up a pump with 1/4" line into the back of my tank so it helps fill the sump faster. Did I set something up wrong? Sumps cannot be this complicated. My concern is not enough water getting into the sump and burning out the pump.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
If you don’t cover the sump the water will evaporates very quickly. When you fill it to max and stop the pump how much water does the sump filled? Your drain hole might be too high if your sump are not getting enough water from your tank above.

Reactions: Matteus

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Sounds like a basic drain diameter/return diameter descrepancy with a bit of inadequate overflow thrown in for good measure. That'll squiff your balance of flow.

Whatever it is it will be easily solved. As you said, "sumps cannot be this complicated". A few pictures may help us identify any issues you have.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The drain is too small IMO

Maybe just add another drain to the system?

If I can't crank my pump up all the way with the drains halfway clogged I don't have enough drainage.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store