Need to replace a faulty heater, what should I buy?

mirs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I think I've finally learned my lesson to stop buying Aqueon Heaters... I narrowly avoided an aquarium heater disaster earlier this week when I noticed the thermometer on my tank was at 86°F (but my heater was at 78°). I pulled it out and saw there was a bit of condensation within the heater itself... I bought a new heater but it seems that its thermostat is broken because it only comes on when the temperature of the tank is below 74°, even though its set to 80°. So I've been sleeping on my couch and leaving a space heater in my room to maintain tropical temperatures (yeah, I think I love my fish a little too much lol).

Anyway, I need advice on what heater to buy for my 75G aquarium so I don't have this problem in the future :) Suggestions are much appreciated, thank you in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I think I've finally learned my lesson to stop buying Aqueon Heaters... I narrowly avoided an aquarium heater disaster earlier this week when I noticed the thermometer on my tank was at 86°F (but my heater was at 78°). I pulled it out and saw there was a bit of condensation within the heater itself... I bought a new heater but it seems that its thermostat is broken because it only comes on when the temperature of the tank is below 74°, even though its set to 80°. So I've been sleeping on my couch and leaving a space heater in my room to maintain tropical temperatures (yeah, I think I love my fish a little too much lol).

Anyway, I need advice on what heater to buy for my 75G aquarium so I don't have this problem in the future :) Suggestions are much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Eheim Jager is a good heater imo.

mirs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Eheim Jager is a good heater imo.
Good suggestion. Most heaters nowadays are made to be replaced in sooner than later. It keeps the business going.
Thanks for the quick responses! Yeah it seems no aquarium heater today is without its faults :( I wish they'd find a way to make money without putting my water-babies in danger though!

Eheim-Jager definitely seems to be the most positively reviewed, although a lot of people complained about it overheating. This ( https://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-...UC0W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1) is the model you guys are talking about, right? If I'm worried about overheating, what wattage do you guys think I should get for a 75g tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always buy a couple or more under sized heaters for my tanks (numbers depend on tank size), brand tend to mean little me. In 100 + gal tanks I might use 3 or 4 small ones
If you have a couple undersize units, and the thermostat gets stuck "on"in one, "hopefully" the others cycle off to prevent cooking fish.
When heaters have failed for me, 80% of the time, its in the "on" position, but when you have a few small units, if one fails in the off position, the others can at least temporarily pick up the slack.

mirs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I always buy a couple or more under sized heaters for my tanks (numbers depend on tank size), brand tend to mean little me. In 100 + gal tanks I might use 3 or 4 small ones
If you have a couple undersize units, and the thermostat gets stuck "on"in one, "hopefully" the others cycle off to prevent cooking fish.
When heaters have failed for me, 80% of the time, its in the "on" position, but when you have a few small units, if one fails in the off position, the others can at least temporarily pick up the slack.
Good idea. So maybe two 200W heaters for 75g? Or would two 150W be better?

mirs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
In a 75 I would use to 100s, or 150s.
If your tank is inside in a normal room temp room (68-72), for most fish, you are only looking at raising water temp a few degrees.
What type fish are you keeping?
I have polypterus and a Gar Characin (Ctenolucius hujeta). My room is a bit colder than room temp (~65°) and I like to keep my tank between 78-80°.

mirs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
get a heater controller so if your heater messes up the controller automatically turns the heater off. i've had bad experience with aqueon aswell. eheim jager has always been good to me and its what i use.
I just found out about heater controllers the other day, I didn't even know they existed! Eheim seems like the best bet. From further research, it also appears that many people who had trouble with overheating didn't realize they can be manually calibrated lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store