Neon Tetra Disease??? Very Deadly!

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Hello,
This is how i feel:nilly: Anyways, I cycled a 55g for a few weeks with water and a sponge filter attached to a powerhead from one of my other tanks. I was attempting a planted tank in the 55g. Have a nice piece of driftwood, some cories, ottocinclus, ctenopoma, bumblebee cat, bristlnose plecos, german blue rams and SAE's in there. Everything pefectly fine for couple weeks, had a few dozen baby endlers in there that my ctenopoma would pick off one by one, and a couple dozen ghost shrimp for clean up and also food for the ctenopoma and bumblebee cat. I decided I wanted some colorful schooling fish, and went out and bought 35-40 neon tetras, this is when the hell broke lose. First day they were lively and schooling! Next day found a couple dead, with many more just floating around the tank breathing with limited muscle control. I read up on NTD and found this likely to be the case, so removed all fish showing an signs of ill health. It didnt help, over the next 3 days it killed all of the neons, most of the endlers and all of the ghost shrimp! The ghost shrimp turned pinkish white after dead. And the neons lost color AFTER they died. At this point my red tailed shark that was perfectly health before, has its entire tail missing from the disease. Well, all of the latter mentioned fish died. Sad, but relieved because it was a tetra only disease, I proceeded to do a 90% water change the next day, and a 30% the following day. Two of the rams however were starting to get pale. I treated the tank with nalafix and a 1/2 dose of quickcure. Then went to bed. In the morning, on of the rams was dead. I fished it out, did another small water change, and did a full dose of quick cure(1 drop per gallon). It didnt help, over the next couple days, all rams and an ottocinclus dies. Then today, two more ottos and a SAE died. The SAE had almost no flesh left, and the remaining ottos seem bloated and dont wanna move. So today i again gave a full dose of quick cure, this time turning the water a bit bluer then before. When the fish die, some seem to be full color and others seem to be pale, which is weird, but then lose color and flesh after they die. The neons were the only ones al little paler before they died, and they stopped schooling before they dies also. Another symptom was breathing fast while just sitting on the bottom. The only things seem to not be affected so far are the cories, even the plecos show some discoloration and the ctenopoma is sitting at the bottom. I've lost well over $100 of small fish, is there anybody who knows what this disease is and how to treat it?

Here are some pics after all the neons, endlers and ghost shrimp were wiped out, and two of the rams. The pale ram was just about to expire, followed but the not so pale ram. Any help is greatly appreciated!

he sits here because it blocks the current

[/quote]

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Shrimp do not succumb to the same ailments as fish...I would be willing to wager that your tank was not cycled yet, and or had something in it, like ich meds anytime in the past or copper deposits.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store