Never trust a Rainbow.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I wanted to go to just one tank, so I moved my 15 guppies to my 55, with 12 Praecox and three Fluviatalis (Dwarf Neon and Australian) Rainbows. I drip acclimated the guppies in a bucket and dropped them in. The guppies were the same size as the Praecox, but as soon as I dropped them in, the rainbows swarmed them and ripped them to pieces so fast I couldn't get any of them out before they were torn up.
I just looked in again, about a couple of hours later, and I see at least five guppies survived, but I no longer have a second tank to put them in. I wish them luck.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
was it around feeding time when you put the guppies in?
I usually feed them before I leave in the morning, and again when I come home at night. I was home early today, though, because I am off from college, and I cleaned and rescaped the tank before adding the guppies. It makes sense, though, that they thought the guppies were food, because whenever I come to the tank, they go to the top, and when I clean the tank, they bite my arms. They must think anything I put in there is food :(

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Same for my cichlids , so what I do before adding new fish is to feed the cichlids at 1 side of tank and release the new fish on the other side

Reactions: Jexnell and J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Same for my cichlids , so what I do before adding new fish is to feed the cichlids at 1 side of tank and release the new fish on the other side
Thanks. That's a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I wanted to go to just one tank, so I moved my 15 guppies to my 55, with 12 Praecox and three Fluviatalis (Dwarf Neon and Australian) Rainbows. I drip acclimated the guppies in a bucket and dropped them in. The guppies were the same size as the Praecox, but as soon as I dropped them in, the rainbows swarmed them and ripped them to pieces so fast I couldn't get any of them out before they were torn up.
I just looked in again, about a couple of hours later, and I see at least five guppies survived, but I no longer have a second tank to put them in. I wish them luck.
Rainbows are *ssh*les! I had a trio in my 29 a few years ago and they ate my bala shark that I was growing out for the 75! They also bullied countless cichlids into submission, including one particularly feisty geo that I'd been wanting to give away because of his rudeness to my fragile knifefish... So, I basically just fed him to the rainbows.. Oops. Good luck with em. :)

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store