NEVER turn on a heater when a snake has eaten

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
When I turn on the heater, and my baby corn snake has eaten, he throws it up the next morning....now I know, to never, ever turn on the heater. Just wanted to share that and hope that it doesn't happen to anybody else.

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
Never had that problem, then again I also don't keep corns.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nabbig2;1215376; said:
When I turn on the heater, and my baby corn snake has eaten, he throws it up the next morning....now I know, to never, ever turn on the heater. Just wanted to share that and hope that it doesn't happen to anybody else.
That doesn't make any sense.

Snakes are cold blooded and require heat for their metabolism to function.

Your heater might make the cage TOO hot, or the regurgitation (throwing up) is the result of some other unrelated problem. Among them, prey size, stress, excessive handling, internal parasites, etc....

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
elevatethis;1216941;1216941 said:
That doesn't make any sense.

Snakes are cold blooded and require heat for their metabolism to function.

Your heater might make the cage TOO hot, or the regurgitation (throwing up) is the result of some other unrelated problem. Among them, prey size, stress, excessive handling, internal parasites, etc....
Well said!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Get the stick on heat mat that goes under the tank. Get a size that only covers 1/3-1/2 the bottom, so the snake can get off of that side if it gets too warm. I used these with my daughter's corn snakes for 7 years with no trouble at all. It gives a hot spot without heating up the entire tank like heat lamps.

tRiP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
ontario
www.youtube.com
nolapete;1217096; said:
Get the stick on heat mat that goes under the tank. Get a size that only covers 1/3-1/2 the bottom, so the snake can get off of that side if it gets too warm. I used these with my daughter's corn snakes for 7 years with no trouble at all. It gives a hot spot without heating up the entire tank like heat lamps.
That's what I've used for my ball pythons, corn snakes, kingsnakes and red tailed boa. They work great.

jtrotter77

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Tennessee
I always used just regular heating pads beneath the tanks, (you can adjust the temp on them so they are very ideal) just make sure you dont get one with automatic shutoff. but as stated before the heat pad should cover no more than half the tank bottom.. as for regurgitation. its very common if they get to hot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store