New 125 all male peacock and Hap tank

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Looks like lots of good info here in this thread,

Only going to share my experience. I ordered 24 Africans - 2 species -

One was 10m / 2 f - total random pick of Juvinile

I’m not even sure about the other group... I’ve recently separated the two species...

That group of 12 may sadly be a similar ratio... 11m / 1 f ....

I’d order designated m/f fish if you can, I know it costs more but...

Next time I put together a colony I’ll order specific m/f to get the proper ratios...

GL! And pics when you get em!
Wow, that’s pretty bad odds. Currently, I have been buying all male adults so I know for sure they are male but it’s really really expensive. I am paying anyway from $50 to $100 per fish.

I was hoping I can save with juvenile since both male and female would work as long as the ratio is not that extreme but I really didn’t think the odds are that bad. I was thinking buy 4 juveniles each species, end up with 1m/3f perfect, 2m/2f I can work with. Guess I was being way too optimistic.

Buying specific m/f might be too costly for me plus not that easy to find. Will have to think about it. I still have time since I have to get the tanks and set them up, with all these social distancing, might take some time.

There is a online retailer that sells m/f with M garauntee and will do their best to get 1m/3f ratio when ordering juvenile from them. The only thing is with large Haps, I know it’s even hard to vent when it’s around 3 inch, not sure how they can garauntee when the fish they sell are 1.5 - 2 inch. Not sure if I should give them a shot.

Reactions: dr exum

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
LOL, I have been looking at this site for couple of weeks already! Thinking if I should order. They only have 1.25 inch juvenile. I was really hoping to buy a colored up adult around 4-5 inch since the smallest one in my tank is close to 4 inch and my Fosso is almost 7.5. Dropping a 1.25 into the tank, I am afraid will be eaten right away.

This is the vendor I was referring to on my previous post, wasn’t sure if I was allowed to mention vendor name.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have purchased 8 fish from them recently. I do wonder how they guarantee a male at this size but all fish are alive, healthy and growing nicely.

I will say all that I have ordered have arrived closer to the 2 inch measurement Except one.

Last edited:

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
I have purchased 8 fish from them recently. I do wonder how they guarantee a male at this size but all fish are alive, healthy and growing nicely.
That’s great to hear. Were they juvenile or adult? Were the size smaller or bigger than what they listed?

I read some mixed reviews regarding them, hence have not pulled the trigger yet. since you have ordered from them recently and have had good experience, I think I might order 4 Exochromis to just try and hopefully 1 male.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
The only fish I lost was a white lip. And that is not the fault of the seller. The fish literally swam straight from my release and wedged himself between two rocks. Before I could get to him he was already dead. I ordered a second white lip and it is doing fine.
I edited the above post in regards to size. I have thread that pictures two of the fish I have purchased.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
The only fish I lost was a white lip. And that is not the fault of the seller. The fish literally swam straight from my release and wedged himself between two rocks. Before I could get to him he was already dead. I ordered a second white lip and it is doing fine.
I edited the above post in regards to size. I have thread that pictures two of the fish I have purchased.
Great, thanks for the info I have just offered to buy the 125 and hopefully they still have it and I can go pickup tomorrow.

Once, I get it and setup, I will place the order for the fish. Hopefully I get the ratio I aim for.

Thanks

Reactions: The Morning

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
You are living my dream. Lol
LOL, I think my wife got so used to it because I used have a lot of tanks, spend so much time and $$ on them, especially the salt water tanks. Now, having just a few tanks, especially freshwater, she is ok as long as I don’t go overboard with it again. ?

I think this last two big tanks will be the last two she will let me get, so trying to get it worth.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
So I don’t think I will be able to fit the 96” 300 through the door. I think I am limited to the 72” deep 300. Would it still be worth it to set it up given it is not 8 feed long?

I want to house all the fish I currently have in my 125 plus a bunch more like Venustus, livingstonii, Bucco, Exo,Dimidochromis, etc.

If the length limits what I can keep then it might not be worth the $$.

thanks

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
What fantastic thread. There was a lot of interesting info on here and it was an engaging read. I think I just spent an hour reading this, but I didn't notice the time passing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store