New 4.5” male HRP from TUIC

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Picked up this guy from TUIC.. I hadn’t done anything in the convict realm and kept seeing that HRPs were a little less aggressive on the whole and I really liked their coloration. So grabbed this male for my community 125 (Oscar, silver dollars, blue acara, rainbow cichlid). He was a bit rough on the rainbow so I pulled him out for the time being to set up something for the rainbow possibly.

Anyway this fish is both a looker and hilarious. I put him in the 125 with my 10” jag with a divider giving him about 1/4 of the tank. Within a couple minutes he found a spot he could slither through and apparently thinks he’s going to slowly claim the whole tank. Bolder every time. Anyway just wanted to share a video of him doing that and a picture. Side note - you’ll see algae on the glass.. I can’t seem to get it off? Tried a basic scraper. Any thoughts without me having to drain the tank? This 125 was a used “steal of a deal” off Facebook marketplace. Came that way.

4D04D71A-C6D5-4868-89B7-D713F4C3949F.jpeg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Beautiful fish! Love big male convicts (and relatives like the HRP)

On the algae, your best bet is a razor blade held in hand. If that won't get it off, nothing short of draining the tank and soaking it in something like vinegar will, most likely.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Beautiful fish! Love big male convicts (and relatives like the HRP)

On the algae, your best bet is a razor blade held in hand. If that won't get it off, nothing short of draining the tank and soaking it in something like vinegar will, most likely.
Thanks

Yes I’ve tried the blade scraper without any luck.. haven’t wanted to actually scratch up the glass by getting to aggressive with it. I will probably end up putting the fish in the QT tank and draining it one of these days.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thanks

Yes I’ve tried the blade scraper without any luck.. haven’t wanted to actually scratch up the glass by getting to aggressive with it. I will probably end up putting the fish in the QT tank and draining it one of these days.
Bladed algae scraper, or a normal razor blade? I find the razor blades work alot better than the metal scrapers they sell, and harder to scratch the glass too. Just got to be careful not to cut yourself in the process.

Reactions: biguebs

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bladed algae scraper, or a normal razor blade? I find the razor blades work alot better than the metal scrapers they sell, and harder to scratch the glass too. Just got to be careful not to cut yourself in the process.
Bladed algae scraper. I will get the regular razor blade out next time I’m changing water and give it a shot. I think you’re probably correct, the angle should be better. Thanks

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Love the HRP! Surprised the jag isn’t so offended by his presence, I guess the size difference is big enough.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Love the HRP! Surprised the jag isn’t so offended by his presence, I guess the size difference is big enough.
The jag is a strange fish. Genuinely skittish, I’ve had like a year and I still have to approach slowly, wait for him to see me and “be ok with it”, then carefully drop his food in. If I walk up on him too quickly he jets in a random direction and whacks himself on something. Lol

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store