New 480 gallon tank. What to put

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I have only ever had Oscar and one or two other cichlids, but that’s about it. Now I have a tank comeing that I can do just about anything to. I am leaning towards a Cichlid tank African like peacocks and haps because my wife wants movement in the tank. She thinks my Oscar is too boring lol. He is but I love him I have had him for about 9 years now. What are some other suggestions of fish to look at?
Also if I end up going with an African Cichlid tank and I get them all between 2 1/2 to 3 inches big do you think I can put the big asker in that tank to if I have enough hiding spots and swim throughs? Or they’ll just be his lunch and I should let them get bigger Before putting him in. I’ve googled with the stock and still cannot get any good answers

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Why not look in on the cichla genus? A nice group of cichla orinocoensis and an silver arowana. Maybe some larger species of disctetras and your home;) but this is said by an cichla enthusiast

Reactions: johnnymax

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I know I don’t want and Arrawana or any big red tail catfish. Really wouldn’t want anything over 15 inches at the absolute max and would much rather have 12 and smaller. I’ll look into that and that was perfect that’s exactly what I’m looking for I don’t need exact fish just kind of a broader thing that I can search and start to narrow down what fish I want the main things are color and activity

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I know I don’t want and Arrawana or any big red tail catfish. Really wouldn’t want anything over 15 inches at the absolute max and would much rather have 12 and smaller. I’ll look into that and that was perfect that’s exactly what I’m looking for I don’t need exact fish just kind of a broader thing that I can search and start to narrow down what fish I want the main things are color and activity
An rtc i understand you dont want:) there is some really nice african riftlake cichlids. I prefer lake malawi over both lake victoria and lake tanganiyka. There is heaps of nice active cichlids from the larger haplochromis genuses

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
If you are set on getting haps go for it I think two shoals of synodontis cats with them would look great. Just be sure to post pics because it sounds awesome

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you're leaning towards Africans, then I assume you have hard water. Central America has a lot of cichlid and shoaling fish options for hard water. Pearsei for a centerpiece, firemouth cichlids for the bottom movement, and very large shoal of swordtails or sailfin mollies. Heck if you don't mind mixing continents, replace the swordtails with colorful Boesemani rainbow fish for color and movement.

Reactions: Tj203

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I have only ever had Oscar and one or two other cichlids, but that’s about it. Now I have a tank comeing that I can do just about anything to. I am leaning towards a Cichlid tank African like peacocks and haps because my wife wants movement in the tank. She thinks my Oscar is too boring lol. He is but I love him I have had him for about 9 years now. What are some other suggestions of fish to look at?
Also if I end up going with an African Cichlid tank and I get them all between 2 1/2 to 3 inches big do you think I can put the big asker in that tank to if I have enough hiding spots and swim throughs? Or they’ll just be his lunch and I should let them get bigger Before putting him in. I’ve googled with the stock and still cannot get any good answers
I'm assuming your Oscar is probably a foot long since you've had him for 9 years. I would almost guarantee that all 2-3" fish that are added will be gone within a week. I only give them that long because of the massive tank you have and if you put a lot of rock work. I would definitely not add the Oscar until they are much larger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store