New 7" Arowana not eating

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
I know this is a very common question because i have acctually read this same question by other MFK members.

I have had my new Silver Arowana for 2 days now and i have tried him on Blood worm and fresh prawns and he still ain't eaten i have even threaded a piece of cottton through a prawn and had it dangle on the waters surface.

I was thinking about blending up some prawns and blood worm and see if he takes that.

Anyone got any other ideas i'll i'd love to hear them.

:feedback:

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
DanDanThePiranhaMan said:
I know this is a very common question because i have acctually read this same question by other MFK members.

I have had my new Silver Arowana for 2 days now and i have tried him on Blood worm and fresh prawns and he still ain't eaten i have even threaded a piece of cottton through a prawn and had it dangle on the waters surface.

I was thinking about blending up some prawns and blood worm and see if he takes that.

hi there...the silver is just in your tank for 2 days only. It needs to take some time to settle down in the new environment in order to start feeding. It is basically in its stress mode due to new environment so feeding is the last thing in its mind.

Actually this period, by forcing it to eat might cause even more stress and lenghtens the acclimatising period.

I would suggest you can do without feeding for 4 days and try..sometimes using live feeders would be easier to wean new fish to start feeding..but ofcourse..use clean live feeds.

Silvers will get used to new tanks pretty easily..not like Asian Aros...my record was a 2mth of non feeding when one of my asian was transferred to another tank.

good luck.

Doc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
NH
www.docsden.com
Live Black worms. I put a bunch on a plastic fork and let them hang in the water.

EZHOOPS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
I've raised aro's for a little while and I've always had luck feeding the young ones insects. Find some crickets, butterflies, dragonflies, etc. If you have children send them out to the a field with a jar and a net and then you will have instant aro food.

Keep in mind that Aro's that eat foods not on the surface WILL develope eye problems later in life. I'm sure you've seen them at many places. IT is almost everywhere a large captive arowana is kept you will notice one eye has look down syndrome. But doesn't happen in the wild because they are surface feeders!

SoyaBean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2005
Singapore
DanDanThePiranhaMan said:

is might due to the water condition of the
1) pH level... acidic or alkaline...
2) water flow too strong...
3) still new need time to attach, add some kepatan leaves...

principal

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2005
Singapore
bro, 2 day is ok, when I bought my aro, it don eat for months, u can try life feeding like crikets, froggie, at the same time put some driftwood to create the type of environment. And U can also add in the vitamins to boots up the appitite, like S11.......Hope this will help. Don worry if it don eat for days, is common.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store