New 96x24x30 Aquarium

Brent Mohar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2016
Hi,

I'm ordering a ne 96"x24"x30" aquarium and am having it drilled. I have a 1100GPH pump already and a 50 gallon sump. I was planning on 3 1.5" drains ( 2 functional, 1 an emergency) drilled in the bottom at one end and returns at the other end. I can't decide on size and number and placement of the returns.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanls

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
1. I calculate your tank volume to be 300 gallons. Your 1100 GPH pump would give you 4X turnover per hour -- that's a little low. I think you should go with 2 of the 1100 GPH pumps for 8 X turnover per hour.
2. 1 1.5 inch pipe, laminar flow, will probably/likely drain 2200 GPH. But, 2 1.5 inch drains will definitely drain 2200 GPH. So, I'd plan for 4 drains -- 2 siphon drains, and 2 emergency drains, and rig up a herbie style overflow with a gate valve on the siphon drains so the tank drains real quiet.
3. I'd have 2 overflow boxes installed by the tank builder. 2 1.5 inch drains in each overflow box.
4. Returns -- you could run them up through the overflow boxes, up and back down through the tank top, and into the tank. Or you could just run them outside the tank and through the top of the tank. Either way is great.

This is exactly how my tank is set up. look at the links in my sig line, you can find my youtube channel and look through the videos. I have 1 or two showing how my tank is plumbed, the sump, etc.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
i just build an indoor pond that is 475g. I plan to run 400g in it. 4 feet of head. I am running a danner 1800 and a jabeo 10,000. I have one 2 inch drain at full suction. At full suction a 2 inch really flows water. I have no introduction of air in the return. If i introduce air it slows down considerably.

I know that a 2 inch pipe flows about 2200 gph, but under full suction i believ it is running more. The head loss on my teo pumps put it about 1500gph each. Sothat means it is flowing closer to 3000gph.

I think your setup would be fine with a bigger/two pumps. For return i would run a min of 2.....maybe a 3rd if you wanted one down low (use a ball valve)

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Great advice given but want to add that you should plan the plimbing around your e drains. 1 wont cut it. Add amother and figure the flow based off those twp drains (gravity fed)

Say your pumps and siphpn drain are running at 2, 3 or 4k and your e drains are only able to handle 1500 gph you wpuld have a major problem if thise e drains are ever called upon

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Brent Mohar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2016
Great advice given but want to add that you should plan the plimbing around your e drains. 1 wont cut it. Add amother and figure the flow based off those twp drains (gravity fed)

Say your pumps and siphpn drain are running at 2, 3 or 4k and your e drains are only able to handle 1500 gph you wpuld have a major problem if thise e drains are ever called upon
Very good advice, thank you. I really appreciate the input.

Reactions: jaws7777

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
1. I calculate your tank volume to be 300 gallons. Your 1100 GPH pump would give you 4X turnover per hour -- that's a little low. I think you should go with 2 of the 1100 GPH pumps for 8 X turnover per hour.
2. 1 1.5 inch pipe, laminar flow, will probably/likely drain 2200 GPH. But, 2 1.5 inch drains will definitely drain 2200 GPH. So, I'd plan for 4 drains -- 2 siphon drains, and 2 emergency drains, and rig up a herbie style overflow with a gate valve on the siphon drains so the tank drains real quiet.
3. I'd have 2 overflow boxes installed by the tank builder. 2 1.5 inch drains in each overflow box.
4. Returns -- you could run them up through the overflow boxes, up and back down through the tank top, and into the tank. Or you could just run them outside the tank and through the top of the tank. Either way is great.

This is exactly how my tank is set up. look at the links in my sig line, you can find my youtube channel and look through the videos. I have 1 or two showing how my tank is plumbed, the sump, etc.
Don't forget head height. OP should really get two larger pumps. I would recommend two DCP 10000's or two 15000's.

For drains, I personally run two 1.5" siphons and one 1.5" edrain. However, both of my siphon drains are about half closed off with a ball valve, so the single 1.5" edrain should have no problem handling all of the flow, if needed. The chances of both siphon drains becoming 100% blocked at the same time is extremely low though, so I don't even worry about it.

OP, I recommend you run two 1.5" siphon drains and then one 2" edrain. That should handle good flow for your size tank.

For the returns, I would with 1". That should give you good flow without too much restriction.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
GPHpipe.png

Using the chart as a rough estimate the 2 inch e drain will handle roughly 2200 gph. Though unlucky that both drains wi clog there is always a chance and imo if theres a chance then we should build the fail safes to handle a worse case scenerio or they really arent true emergancy drains.

I wouldnt feel comfortable running more gph than my e drains could handle.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
+1.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
View attachment 1263513

Using the chart as a rough estimate the 2 inch e drain will handle roughly 2200 gph. Though unlucky that both drains wi clog there is always a chance and imo if theres a chance then we should build the fail safes to handle a worse case scenerio or they really arent true emergancy drains.

I wouldnt feel comfortable running more gph than my e drains could handle.
Yes, but do you think he really needs more than 2200 gph? I think he would be fine at 2000-2100 gph, which would be about 6x turnover rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store