New additions to oue 'fishy family'

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
As promised on another thread, these are our new babies

Tank No1: There are three, the two smaller ones are about 10cm and the bigger one about 14/15cm. The two smaller ones are eating shrimp,squid and earthworms. The bigger one which is actually the more outgoing one, i am battling to get him to eat....

040.JPG 010.JPG 035 (3).JPG 033 (3).JPG

Tank No2

There are five of them and they between 18/20cm
Battling to get them to eat...
Last week we were getting worried so my son got some feeders and threw them in and they polished them in seconds so,, they not sick... i think they were being fed feeders and we going to battle to change that,,,
I dont want to give them feeders.... so any suggestions on winning this battle are welcome!!

018 (2).JPG 030.JPG 020 (2).JPG 012.JPG 025 (3).JPG

In the third tank, we have this little guy, we have had him for a while
We believe he came in by mistake as he was the only one in a bag of silver datnoids
He eats Massivore and actually comes and ask for his pellets!!031.JPG

025 (3).JPG

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
The last picture is not the same datnoid as the one above him... it posted in wrong sequence, he is one of the ones in the second tank

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'd try and separate any non eaters, stuff them up with feeders and then starve them till the take worms, pellets, etc. I've had 2 indos that had very different personalities, but if you offer them feeders it will make them more picky and increase parasite risk. They all seem to be thinbar (NTT) except the indo, looks like a nice one too. The concern with feeders is that even if it's just the dats eating them the risk of rays contracting disease is increased as well.

Reactions: MariaS

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Nice NTT's and Indo. I wouldn't feed feeders. To many bad things can happen. Those stubborn dats will break if not fed feeders. I recently bought 3 indos and all have gone to pellets just from watching other fish eat them. I started one on frozen blood worms and it went to carnivore real easy. I have another that ate frozen blood worms for 6months easy before it broke to pellets and it learned from watching other fish. Another i just bought went almost 2months before it went to pellets one day. Interesting to hear they eat squid. Never heard people feeding it to dats.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I'd try and separate any non eaters, stuff them up with feeders and then starve them till the take worms, pellets, etc. I've had 2 indos that had very different personalities, but if you offer them feeders it will make them more picky and increase parasite risk. They all seem to be thinbar (NTT) except the indo, looks like a nice one too. The concern with feeders is that even if it's just the dats eating them the risk of rays contracting disease is increased as well.
thanks very much... and appreciate the advice
We dont feed feeders to any of our fish as, I agree with you 100%
We did it once as we were worried and we wanted to establish if the non eating was because they were sick or because they were being picky.. clearly they were not sick so.. now they wont get feeders again
I usually throw some bloodworms as my clowns and flagtail love them so they might be eating some...

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Nice NTT's and Indo. I wouldn't feed feeders. To many bad things can happen. Those stubborn dats will break if not fed feeders. I recently bought 3 indos and all have gone to pellets just from watching other fish eat them. I started one on frozen blood worms and it went to carnivore real easy. I have another that ate frozen blood worms for 6months easy before it broke to pellets and it learned from watching other fish. Another i just bought went almost 2months before it went to pellets one day. Interesting to hear they eat squid. Never heard people feeding it to dats.
Thanks very much for all the advice and sharing your experience.. i feel a bit more at ease now..
The two smaller ones which are in the first picture like to hover around that piece of wood and I always feed my rays there as i still target feed them with a long aquarium tweezers because
They were very small as you might have seen on my other post and i wanted to be sure of how much they were eating
Feeding the rays there is what made him start taking squid.. the squid was not meant for him, it was for the ray but one day he darted out of his spot and stole the squid off the tweezers
He is way too fast for me so.. every time i feed he dashes and takes the first piece of food for the rays.. squid, prawn..
The other smaller one comes and takes earthworms the bigger one shows interest but still doesnt eat
The ones in the second tank are the ones we battling the most with and were we tried the feeders once.
Funny enough they not shy, as you can see, they swim around quite a lot but just dont eat...
I guess i must give them time...

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Forgot to mention the dat that went two months didn't eat a single thing until it went to pellets. NTT's are harder to get to pellets I feel then Indos.

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal
Feeding feeders is a 50/50. If use feeders, i quarantine them for 3 weeks and it's just a treat for once a long while.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Forgot to mention the dat that went two months didn't eat a single thing until it went to pellets. NTT's are harder to get to pellets I feel then Indos.
Wow.. 2 months!!! I will be a nervous wreck by then!!
My rays are now taking massivore as well and so are my severums so hopefully they will learn from them...

Reactions: MorningStar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store