New Arawana eating behavior

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a beautiful 10 inch silver arawana. First week in the new tank he ate like a pig, now I couldn’t force feed him if I tried. He won’t budge. Stays slow moving in one spot within the current made from power heads. LFS was feeding him silversides, which I continued as his primary diet. He wouldn’t take sticks either.

Not sure what might be wrong. He has tank mates, a rowdy bunch but he was in a 70g with 10+ other arawanas, rays and cats when I purchased him. I asked LFS guy to feed them for me and they all went nuts.

So I guess my question is are the fussy eaters? Stress easily? Would a water change affect them? Water parameters are fine. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites little high on the Nitrates 40ish. 80 degrees 125g tank. 2 fluval Fx6s. 2 power heads.

Looming forward to some advice.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a beautiful 10 inch silver arawana. First week in the new tank he ate like a pig, now I couldn’t force feed him if I tried. He won’t budge. Stays slow moving in one spot within the current made from power heads. LFS was feeding him silversides, which I continued as his primary diet. He wouldn’t take sticks either.

Not sure what might be wrong. He has tank mates, a rowdy bunch but he was in a 70g with 10+ other arawanas, rays and cats when I purchased him. I asked LFS guy to feed them for me and they all went nuts.

So I guess my question is are the fussy eaters? Stress easily? Would a water change affect them? Water parameters are fine. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites little high on the Nitrates 40ish. 80 degrees 125g tank. 2 fluval Fx6s. 2 power heads.

Looming forward to some advice.

Sometimes Silver Arowana will go on binges of not eating. Personally I would definitely get the Aro on a varied diet. Don't feed for a couple of days and offer the Silver Sides again. My Silver Arowana loved Hikari Carnivore Sticks lol.

Reactions: islandguy11

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
initially i was concerned with my asian aro when he stop eating, once as long as a month plus... soon i realised he eats according to his mood

sometimes 3-4 prawns, sometimes 12-15 prawns, sometimes he wants frogs sometimes he get sick of frogs and want mussels or get sick of mussels and wants prawns...

so now i just F care... he will eat when he feels like eating lol

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
[QUOTE="Galantspeedz, post: 8025816, member: 155106"....so now i just F care... he will eat when he feels like eating lol[/QUOTE]

For sure I've never run into a fish as hard to please -- it's almost like they're screwing with your head on purpose lol.

But I admire your approach and will try to emulate. The only 2 things are:
a) it kinda sucks wasting time/effort preparing the food, then having to clean it out of the tank if Aro doesn't eat.
b) if Aro doesn't eat for a long time how does one know if it's just being moody or if it might have an underlying health or environmental issue? I haven't had any hunger strikes yet but know it's probably inevitable at some time in the future, so have wondered about this.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
[QUOTE="Galantspeedz, post: 8025816, member: 155106"....so now i just F care... he will eat when he feels like eating lol
For sure I've never run into a fish as hard to please -- it's almost like they're screwing with your head on purpose lol.

But I admire your approach and will try to emulate. The only 2 things are:
a) it kinda sucks wasting time/effort preparing the food, then having to clean it out of the tank if Aro doesn't eat.
b) if Aro doesn't eat for a long time how does one know if it's just being moody or if it might have an underlying health or environmental issue? I haven't had any hunger strikes yet but know it's probably inevitable at some time in the future, so have wondered about this.[/QUOTE]

My own experience...

A) it's a comm tank. If he don't eat, others will..and they will stuff their mouth full till either the food is partly out of their mouth lol

B) he still faces me directly, begging for food. And he will follow me all round the tank. Just that when I feed he spits it out.

Also the tank is dosed with parzipro or bio earth (montmorillonite clay) every 2 weeks to keep fish healthy and as preventive measure

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store