New Black Ghost Knife Won't Eat?

Ratman2050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
I recently bought a 4inch BGK from petsmart and I've had it in my 125gallon for 3 days yet it has never come out except to find different hiding spots. Even at night it won't come out when I dim the lights. On its 2nd day I gave it a frozen brine shrimp cube next to its hiding spot yet it didnt eat any..are they usually this shy? I'm just worried that it will die from starvation if it doesnt eat or come out.

Tank mates are 5 emerald shiner minnows, 2 gouramis, 1 pictus, 1 red tail shark. On a side note, I've had the pictus for about a week and even though it is active, I never see it eat any of the brine shrimp, flakes, or wafers that I put in the tank, it's usually the minnows and gouramis that are doing all the eating.

I'd really like to see the BGK strive as it's been my most wanted fish to ever have. Water temp is at 75-78F.

Any suggestions/tips?

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
You might raise the temp a bit to 78-82 or so. Also, try blood worms. I know from experience that the red tail shark can be a bit of a bully as well so pay attention to that. Biggest piece of advice though is just to be patient. That is a big mor for them when they are young and sometimes it just takes time for them to adjust

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ratman2050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
Alright, I checked late at night yesterday using a small flashlight and noticed the BGK moving around so it may just take time like you said, thanks.

Keebs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2012
Alaska
I got my first BGK a few days ago, he doesn't seem to come out of his cave much, probly bc of some protective angel fish parents. He's in my 36 until he gets big enough so he doesn't get eaten by my retic stingray in my 150

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ratman2050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
Mine still never comes out during the day, but gets pretty active at night, except when I try to give it some frozen brine shrimp to eat I never see it eat any, I'm afraid it's starving without me knowing.

I'll have to try blood worms and see if it likes that.

Totroc3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
Southwest Washington
Make sure you feed heavy after its dark in the room. They like black worms, pieces of nightcrawlers, pellet foods, and will even pick at flakes left on the bottom. At least this is my experience.

I bought 2 of them that we're about 4" a year ago. One is now 8-9" and the other is 12-13". I gave them a lot of hiding spots for about 10 months and now they live with my Leopoldi stingrays. They seem way too fast for the rays to ever catch. I watch them when I get up for a nighttime snack and they go crazy all over the tank. They are very playful.

I hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ratman2050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Michigan
Make sure you feed heavy after its dark in the room. They like black worms, pieces of nightcrawlers, pellet foods, and will even pick at flakes left on the bottom. At least this is my experience.

I bought 2 of them that we're about 4" a year ago. One is now 8-9" and the other is 12-13". I gave them a lot of hiding spots for about 10 months and now they live with my Leopoldi stingrays. They seem way too fast for the rays to ever catch. I watch them when I get up for a nighttime snack and they go crazy all over the tank. They are very playful.

I hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Do yours come out during the day? How long does it take for them to be accustomed to light?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store