New Blood Parrot Fish (Mango) setup. Need some help on his appearance

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Hi All, Being a member since few years, but wasn't active much.. Hope you all are doing great!

I have been in this hobby, specially Flowerhorn, since 8 years, On and Off.. I have gathered knowledge from you all, and from my experience...

Got a 37 gallon from PetSmart. Already had same BP blood parrot fish in 20 gallons so it's and upgrade for him. A tiny one baby I received from PetSmart.

It's been healthy and active since then, 20 gallons was cramped for him, so upgraded to 37 Gallons 3-4 days ago. Cycled nitrogen for 2 days, using filter media marinland zeolite, carbon, and Fluval Bio Foam, and poly-fill, and a top fin Aquarium starter kit, which includes it's power 40 filter and cartridge. Well, filter is not so powerful but doing job good. All media are in that top fin hang on back (HOB) filter only. Using white sand which likes by my BP.

Sorry for this long story, my question is, The Blood parrot, we named "Mango" who developed few colorful spots, dots in his tail and fins. I think it's his beauty spots, and not ick or diseases. I know ick is white patches and spots, not in formation and not colorful. Ick is weird looking patches..

Moreover, these colorful spots are visible in the picture of PetSmart, search for "live fish parrot fish" at online sale, picture matches exactly what my Mango has the spots now!!

Any advice and comments are MOST WELCOME!! THANKS MUCH AND APPRECIATED IN ADV.

Please see pictures.

IMG_20200712_103109.jpg

IMG_20200712_103108.jpg

IMG_20200712_102947.jpg

IMG_20200712_102942.jpg

IMG_20200712_102937.jpg

IMG_20200712_102920.jpg

IMG_20200712_102911.jpg

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Both my bp have them. I think they're normal and beautiful. One has a black spot on his head since I bought him 6 months ago. He looks like Gorbachev.

20200618_093648.jpg

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Both my bp have them. I think they're normal and beautiful. One has a black spot on his head since I bought him 6 months ago. He looks like Gorbachev.

View attachment 1425013
Cool and stunning boys over there. Yes, those spots look beautiful and charming. The pink one has black spot which IMO "god gifted"... Thanks much for your reply.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Those are pearls, they look slightly different due to fader gene. Black spots can come and go.
I didn't know BP could have pearls too. Much glad to know. I am sure PetSmart sells healthy and natural BP (without being dyed or hormoned), as at least I have seen them personally in two different PetSmart locations in the USA, I got mine from PS only. "Mango" travelled with me for 3 hours whom I personally received from store 3 hours drive away, the PetSmart store person was knowledgeable and luckily BP enthu. Well, I called store before I drive and they said they have only one left, I thought he could be grown up, but turned he was just an inch in size when I got him. Now few CMs grew, but only two weeks since he arrived.
. thanks much for your reply, Ruturaj

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The spots are cute. Parrots are funny...sometimes mine get 'white beards' then they disappear. or their scales look frosty and change back. One of my female BPs Patch was named because she had a huge black spot on her nose like a jean patch. It disappeared and hasn't shown up since. Mango's a teeny baby so he could change colors later.

Reactions: AlphaTintu

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
The spots are cute. Parrots are funny...sometimes mine get 'white beards' then they disappear. or their scales look frosty and change back. One of my female BPs Patch was named because she had a huge black spot on her nose like a jean patch. It disappeared and hasn't shown up since. Mango's a teeny baby so he could change colors later.
Thanks much for your reply. Yes, we enjoy their beauty overall, they indeed are cute. Very playful and pure hearted I would say :). Their cute short face, an bubbly body say many things. The dark spots looks stunning, but they look bad when fish are stressed, poor fellas... But yes, the fading spots are great looking.

Mango is playful with my 6 years old daughter, rather with me.

I saw some YouTube videos where some KK parrot lay down, or play dead when his keeper commands him, I saw that and it is really amazing!! I think they understand the signs rather words, but bet they are super cute...

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Thanks much for your reply. Yes, we enjoy their beauty overall, they indeed are cute. Very playful and pure hearted I would say :). Their cute short face, an bubbly body say many things. The dark spots looks stunning, but they look bad when fish are stressed, poor fellas... But yes, the fading spots are great looking.

Mango is playful with my 6 years old daughter, rather with me.

I saw some YouTube videos where some KK parrot lay down, or play dead when his keeper commands him, I saw that and it is really amazing!! I think they understand the signs rather words, but bet they are super cute...
Someone trained my loaches to play dead too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store