New Brachyplatystoma juruense (flash zebra / golden zebra) catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm planning to have a Y setup to allow part of the overall drip to bypass the rodi so I can optimize the mix
That's what I do. Our raw well water is light brackish, TDS waxes and wanes ~1000-1500 ppm, out of which ~500-650 ppm is hardness. Less than 0.1 ppm ferrous iron. 3-5 ppm of sulfides (taken out by two charcoal filters, one of which is regenerated weekly). The well is about 150 feet deep.

If a raw well water is potable / drinkable apart from salinity and high hardness (which I had established for our well water by sending it to a National Lab for analysis, cost ~$250; no organic poisons, no heavy metal poisons, etc.), I assume it'd be safe to mix it with RO water at a desired proportion.

I continuously mix 80%-85% of RO water (which we make in-house and use up daily ~7,000 GPD) with 15%-20% raw well water right in our 1000 gal RO-water storage tub, which on our production scale is far, far cheaper and controllable than having a calcite filter remineralize the RO water (but it is a matter of consumption and convenience), and this is the water all our fish get and we too drink and use in the house. If I suddenly stop posting altogether, perhaps drinking this water will have been a mistake, even though we have been doing it for about 4 years now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store