New Breeding Project!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
https://youtube.com/shorts/jOAudliPtvw?feature=share

I wanted to start a very important chapter in my fish keeping journey. Breeding. Now I have bred fish before. On accident but that’s besides the point. But they were masked Julie cichlids which was pretty cool. But I want to kind of do it for fun but maybe make some money doing it it doesn’t matter to me personally. But I got the guppies you saw in the video 3 females and 1 male. But the 2nd half of the project is called complementary breeding, for those who don’t what That is, it is when you breed multiple species in 1 tank. So I want to do guppies,assassin snails, cherry shrimp and Java moss. The tank is 10 gallons but if I start to get ovestocked I’ll put the babies in a separate tank. What are you guys thoughts? Also like my new intro on my YouTube videos??

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sounds fun! Make sure to have enough hiding spots and it should go well!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Sounds fun! Make sure to have enough hiding spots and it should go well!
Thank you! Its something ive always wanted to try. I added the fake plant in the video as it has a lot of little areas to hide. Do you think will be enough?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would densely plant it to the point of barely being able to see. That’s the only way to maximize shrimp yield. The guppies will eat a lot of the babies. Also more cover is more areas for guppies to hide.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I would densely plant it to the point of barely being able to see. That’s the only way to maximize shrimp yield. The guppies will eat a lot of the babies. Also more cover is more areas for guppies to hide.
Ok yeah, Ill get some either today or this weekend.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Also these are sunset guppies. And any ideas on the best plants to get? besides java moss. Maybe hornwort?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hornwort is good if you want a fast grower that provides a lot of cover. Mine has grown several inches in hours. Duckweed or other floaters are good for guppy fry + Marimo balls for the shrimp.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hornwort is good if you want a fast grower that provides a lot of cover. Mine has grown several inches in hours. Duckweed or other floaters are good for guppy fry + Marimo balls for the shrimp.
Ok cool. A few hours is pretty crazy. Any certain kind of shimp? I know cherry but what color is best? or does it not matter.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Red cherry is the cheapest so it won’t cost a fortune just to get a good amount, but it really is based on your personal color preference. From what I’ve heard it’s recommended not to mix colors though if breeding for profit.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Red cherry is the cheapest so it won’t cost a fortune just to get a good amount, but it really is based on your personal color preference. From what I’ve heard it’s recommended not to mix colors though if breeding for profit.
Yeah. Im just looking to make a few bucks. Just some cricket money pretty much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store