New Breeding Project!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
For the guppies I would recommend heavy culling to make certain that they breed true to your standards. Otherwise if ya let males or females, that aren't the color ya want, breed then your going to just end up with a mixed bag of $1-2 a piece guppies rather then having ones that ya can sell for anywhere between $5-10 a piece. I'm currently working on my line breeding project and all it takes is just 1 fish with off color/pattern to ruin it and make ya need to start all over again.
I got really similar colors I think at least. and I like the red/orange and yellow coloring. Which is why I got the ones I have now. I’m pretty sure there all sunsets. I plan on talking the highest quality ones into another tank to breed with more I can find.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Sounds fun!! I agree with keeping your shrimp bloodlines pure. I have blues, orange, red, and black in the same tank, and now most of the offspring are either grey, or black (I just use them for algae control). I also started with sunset platys, 4 F and 2 M. After a year I probably have at least 200 in my 3 tanks, and I don't do anything to prevent predation of the fry (tankmates are ember tetras, neons, neocardinas, peppered corys, and amano shrimp). I still see new fey all the time.

The main tank is a 40 gal cube, high tech, densely planted tank. The main plant is rotala rotundifolia, which grows like a weed and forms dense mats, where I am sure that the fry use to avoid the main predator in the tank, the adult amano shrimp.

I see from your pics that you have a bundle of rotala already. Get 2 inches of some decent substrate in that tank (NOT SAND), a good light, and maybe some nice clumps of Java moss and you should be good to go. Keep it simple at first, just guppies and shrimp. As things fill out and a few batches of fry are dropped, add some tankmates that aren't prone to eating the fry or the shrimp larvae. Before you know it your tank will be bustling with life.

rotala tank.jpg

This was from March. Please excuse the small clumps of BBA. It's been an ongoing battle in all my tanks.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Sounds fun!! I agree with keeping your shrimp bloodlines pure. I have blues, orange, red, and black in the same tank, and now most of the offspring are either grey, or black (I just use them for algae control). I also started with sunset platys, 4 F and 2 M. After a year I probably have at least 200 in my 3 tanks, and I don't do anything to prevent predation of the fry (tankmates are ember tetras, neons, neocardinas, peppered corys, and amano shrimp). I still see new fey all the time.

The main tank is a 40 gal cube, high tech, densely planted tank. The main plant is rotala rotundifolia, which grows like a weed and forms dense mats, where I am sure that the fry use to avoid the main predator in the tank, the adult amano shrimp.

I see from your pics that you have a bundle of rotala already. Get 2 inches of some decent substrate in that tank (NOT SAND), a good light, and maybe some nice clumps of Java moss and you should be good to go. Keep it simple at first, just guppies and shrimp. As things fill out and a few batches of fry are dropped, add some tankmates that aren't prone to eating the fry or the shrimp larvae. Before you know it your tank will be bustling with life.

View attachment 1462997

This was from March. Please excuse the small clumps of BBA. It's been an ongoing battle in all my tanks.
Wow. Thank tank is stunning. Thank you for the advice. But wouldn't gravel be hurtful for the babies? if they get like stuck or something? And im kind of pisse because 3 of the shrimp died. Ive kept ghost shrimp before and couldnt keep them alive either. So im gonna see about getting my money back from petco and show them a pic of them dead. But idk why theyre dying when everything else is thriving.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Wow. Thank tank is stunning. Thank you for the advice. But wouldn't gravel be hurtful for the babies? if they get like stuck or something? And im kind of pisse because 3 of the shrimp died. Ive kept ghost shrimp before and couldnt keep them alive either. So im gonna see about getting my money back from petco and show them a pic of them dead. But idk why theyre dying when everything else is thriving.
Gravel won't hurt the fry. If anything it will give them a place to hide right after birth. I am using Eco Complete and have nothing bad to say about it.

As far as losing a few shrimp, it happens. I think that shrimp are very sensitive to changes. This is my first time keeping shrimp and I lost 5 of the 10 original neocardina that I put in. There are over 100 in there now, after just 5 months.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Gravel won't hurt the fry. If anything it will give them a place to hide right after birth. I am using Eco Complete and have nothing bad to say about it.

As far as losing a few shrimp, it happens. I think that shrimp are very sensitive to changes. This is my first time keeping shrimp and I lost 5 of the 10 original neocardina that I put in. There are over 100 in there now, after just 5 months.
Ok cool. Thank you.

Reactions: Deadeye

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Update! So I talked to 2 LFS near me about giving them guppies once they start to breed. And the one said they would take 10 pairs (1 male 1 female) for 50 cents each fish which comes at like 10$. The OTHER lfs hasn’t gotten back to me about pricing but said call there owner or something and we can talk about pricing. Should I ask for 50 cents a piece at the one then ask the other to go higher as they want pairs? Or even either of them say the other store has a higher buy amount? Economics lol

Reactions: Deadeye

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Update! So I talked to 2 LFS near me about giving them guppies once they start to breed. And the one said they would take 10 pairs (1 male 1 female) for 50 cents each fish which comes at like 10$. The OTHER lfs hasn’t gotten back to me about pricing but said call there owner or something and we can talk about pricing. Should I ask for 50 cents a piece at the one then ask the other to go higher as they want pairs? Or even either of them say the other store has a higher buy amount? Economics lol
Personally I would recommend asking both if they would mind buying them for the same price as each other. Atleast then 1 business won't get all mad if they find out that your selling to a competitor as well. Just some food for thought lol. No sense in going with one over the other if ya can have both.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Personally I would recommend asking both if they would mind buying them for the same price as each other. Atleast then 1 business won't get all mad if they find out that your selling to a competitor as well. Just some food for thought lol. No sense in going with one over the other if ya can have both.
100% but if I sell to competitors why would they want to buy from me? I’m selling to their competitors. I want to have a good relationship so say maybe like I’ve been a loyal supplier and someone else wants to come in and do the same thing they’d be like “no sorry, we already have a loyal high quality supplier” and I can kind of keep good terms with the company.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
100% but if I sell to competitors why would they want to buy from me? I’m selling to their competitors. I want to have a good relationship so say maybe like I’ve been a loyal supplier and someone else wants to come in and do the same thing they’d be like “no sorry, we already have a loyal high quality supplier” and I can kind of keep good terms with the company.
Well that's true too but I highly doubt that they would get mad at ya for selling em both a specie of fish that could easily breed in a coffee cup lol. If it was a rare specie of fish I could totally understand going with one over the other but since it's guppies I don't really see any need for that. Granted that's just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store