New Build ~ 600 Gallon

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Justin, not sure how I never saw this thread but I just spent 3 hours reading the entire thing. Everything about this system makes it my favorite.
The combination of high quality equipment, the OCD-fueled perfection in keeping things cleaned up, the thought behind every little thing, and of course the fish. This is THE system I will base mine off of someday.
Very sorry to hear about losing the big lei - she was a beautiful fish.

When I build my system, it will be very similar to this. I want to do it once and do it right. I've got a few questions, if you don't mind:
  1. Assuming you weren't on a budget - what would you do differently? How big of a display would you go? 8x4, 8x6, 10x4, 10x6? Maybe even bigger? I'm thinking something big enough to last me with a solid group of nice rays for a lifetime, but not so big that maintenance becomes too much to handle. How big would you go?
  2. On the same note, would you change anything on your filtration? Or anything else, for that matter.
  3. I noticed you were going to do a double-stacked pup tank - any reason you didn't end up doing it?
  4. Same for the mechanical filter - any reason you didn't build that?
  5. I may have missed it - but how are you heating this system?
  6. How much are you dripping in here per day/week?
Love this build man, can't wait to see more of it. Whenever I make it to the west coast I'll have to come check it out.
Drew

Last edited:
Reactions: M3AN ONE

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
How’s the 2 Ultimas rotation holding up? Is there enough flow and turnover in your system? Do you feel it’s overkill with also having a sump? I am about to have a 10x4x30 built and am highly considering mimicking your plumbing setup.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Okay, so not inline with the return pump.. but this doesn't seem like a bad idea either

I like this,

Nice work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store