Nice update.

Reactions: Scottymac22

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The hybrid is a TSN (mother, likely Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum) x Marbled Pim catfish (father, Leiarius marmoratus aka achara catfish).

Scottymac22

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2019
The hybrid is a TSN (mother, likely Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum) x Marbled Pim catfish (father, Leiarius marmoratus aka achara catfish).
Supposedly supposed to be Liosomodoras oncinus x Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum but very very little info on them. 1st time I've seen them in the hobby or on any price lists...

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Supposedly supposed to be Liosomodoras oncinus x Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum but very very little info on them. 1st time I've seen them in the hobby or on any price lists...
TSNxLei hybrids are quite well known and have been made for more than a decade in SA for food: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/6726748 The hybrid you speak of is not known and would be hard to imagine a motivation for anyone to try it. These hybrids are made as a result of exploring the fish farming for human food. They don't utilize small fish like the jaguar catfish.

Reactions: moe214

Scottymac22

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2019
TSNxLei hybrids are quite well known and have been made for more than a decade in SA for food: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/6726748 The hybrid you speak of is not known and would be hard to imagine a motivation for anyone to try it. These hybrids are made as a result of exploring the fish farming for human food. They don't utilize small fish like the jaguar catfish.
You may very well be correct, just stating what was claimed as the species hybrid. The "common name" is listed as a "jaguar shovel nose" but as we all know common names mean nothing lol

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... but as we all know common names mean nothing lol
Haha, right, especially with respect to hybrids. You can call it a table. Or a doornail.

Reactions: Scottymac22

Scottymac22

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2019
I won't pretend I know nearly as much as these cat enthusiasts, but I will say that is a gorgeous fish! I love the iridescence of the scales of the B. rouseauxii
Thanks man! Ya can't wait till he shines up a little more. He's in a 55g QT by himself right now, had a long trip from Asia lol

Reactions: Lexitron
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store