new Chelonodon bengalensis puffer

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
I got this puffer last week. Its chelonodon bengalensis aka Bengal Star Puffer. Probably the coolest fish I've ever had.

I'm fattening it up with shrimp twice a day. Gonna offer it some mussels or clams soon. It's already looking awesome, the colors are getting darker, the fish is getting rounder and the fins are healing. Its super hard to get a good picture of because it's always moving.

I'm keeping it with a tablespoon of salt per 5 gals and a temp of around 78. Theres a group of clown loaches as a clean up crew, all are doing great. I may need to up the salt slightly from time to time in which case I'll need to move the loaches but we'll see how it goes, there's next to zero info out there about these puffers.

Big thanks to Wes for this rare gem!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I was just thinking that, i’ve heard they need salt but not sure what salinity levels they require to really thrive...

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You said wes got this for you. Are you talking about wetspot?

If these will survive in warm full marine I'd love to have one. Just the right size

Reactions: xenacanth9

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
Thanks guys!

You said wes got this for you. Are you talking about wetspot?

If these will survive in warm full marine I'd love to have one. Just the right size
I got it from Wes at Rare Fish who is a vendor here.

I dont think it would do well in full marine. From what I was told "lite brackish" from time to time. Not sure what qualifies as lite brackish. I'm going to monitor it and I am using marine salt in there now.

Reactions: xenacanth9

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks guys!

I got it from Wes at Rare Fish who is a vendor here.

I dont think it would do well in full marine. From what I was told "lite brackish" from time to time. Not sure what qualifies as lite brackish. I'm going to monitor it and I am using marine salt in there now.
I wonder if light brackish would be similar to something like the F8 puffers (Tetraodon biocellatus) requirements or higher still???

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well brackish is 1.005 to 1.010 I think if I remember correctly. So light would be 1.005. I know saltwater typically starts at 1.016, and most salt water fish can tolerate down to 1.012 for short periods. Very effective way to cure alot of saltwater fish issues, ich, velvet, flukes so on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store