New Discus not eating well

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, after 30 years in the hobby I've decided to try my hand at discus. I purchased 8 ~quarter sized and 2 ~3.5" fish from a local breeder. I split what I hope is the larger pair and the 8 small ones into separate 20 long, cycled qt tanks. The breeder says he fed mostly shrimp and beef heart. I've had the fish since Monday and other than the little ones pecking the shrimp a touch I haven't seen them eat. I've had to vac the tanks a couple times a day. I've tried shrimp, beef heart and small pellets/flakes mixed with seachem garlic. The fish appear healthy. Does anyone have any tricks to jump start their appetites and taking pellets? Here's a couple pics just after I released them.
IMG_9080.JPG View attachment 1224152

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, after 30 years in the hobby I've decided to try my hand at discus. I purchased 8 ~quarter sized and 2 ~3.5" fish from a local breeder. I split what I hope is the larger pair and the 8 small ones into separate 20 long, cycled qt tanks. The breeder says he fed mostly shrimp and beef heart. I've had the fish since Monday and other than the little ones pecking the shrimp a touch I haven't seen them eat. I've had to vac the tanks a couple times a day. I've tried shrimp, beef heart and small pellets/flakes mixed with seachem garlic. The fish appear healthy. Does anyone have any tricks to jump start their appetites and taking pellets? Here's a couple pics just after I released them.
View attachment 1224151 View attachment 1224152

mrrobxc mrrobxc

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
If you can obtain live daphnia, discus cannot resist pigging out on those! Even the pickiest discus will rip right into daphnia!

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
they may still be settling... what is your temp? ump it over 84 and get some frozen bloodworms to get them started.
The temps are tight there in the 83-84 range. I did mix some bloodworms in with the shrimp and now the little ones are pecking st everything including flakes and pellets. Outside of a couple investigative pecks from the big ones on shrimp nothing yet. I'm vac'ing and doing 30% water changes each day.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
The temps are tight there in the 83-84 range. I did mix some bloodworms in with the shrimp and now the little ones are pecking st everything including flakes and pellets. Outside of a couple investigative pecks from the big ones on shrimp nothing yet. I'm vac'ing and doing 30% water changes each day.
The higher the temp the more you will activate there drive to eat.. go up to 86

Reactions: Lilyann

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
The higher the temp the more you will activate there drive to eat.. go up to 86
My goal is to get them into my planted 340. I figure the grow out will be several months for the little ones but maybe 6 weeks for the bigger pair. I keep that temp in the 82 range. Would you bump it up for now then slowly bring it back to the 82-83 range?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
My goal is to get them into my planted 340. I figure the grow out will be several months for the little ones but maybe 6 weeks for the bigger pair. I keep that temp in the 82 range. Would you bump it up for now then slowly bring it back to the 82-83 range?
yes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store