Not open for further replies.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
I've changed my email address to jeff.tuic@gmail.com
Please make note of this if you'd like to email me directly.

I've also taken a few new photos of fish to share.
Why not post them here?

I was in Mexico a few weeks ago and returned with juveniles of several species of cichlid fry collected from cenotes in southern Quintana Roo.

From Cenote Encantado, I successfully collected and returned with Paraneetroplus synspilus. This is just about at the northernmost known range of this species. I have some fry that will grow out to try and breed.
Also collected a beautiful yellow 'Cichlasoma' salvini and wild form of Petenia splendida for which I plan the same.
I have Astatheros robertsoni fry that are just about 1 cm, so they are growing out before I may offer any for sale.
The 'Cichlasoma' uropthalmus juveniles are ready to market. These are of a very sharp orange/blue/black 'Mayan tiger' patterned race.

I do not have the ability to take underwater photographs, so I apologize for not having photos of adults taken in their native waters.

From Cenote Cristalino, I have wild juveniles of an absolutely phenomenal jack dempsey to offer in limited quantity.

Here are some photos of babies I just took. Even at this small size, they are really colorful.
The red in the tail is just becoming visible as well.

octo.crist.jpg

octo.crist1.jpg

octo.crist2.jpg

octo.crist3.jpg

Speaking of wild collections, I was in Panama collecting with my wife this spring.
I realize that I never shared photos of fish successfully collected and brought back to my facility.
Maybe more on that another time. But I can add that we returned with 'Cichlasoma' tuyrensis (why isn't this species updated to be included in genus Paraneetroplus?) I have no idea why not..

I'm raising up some now adolescent individuals that ought to be mature in the next months. Then hopefully some F1 fry to share.

tuy.jpg

tuy1.jpg

We also collected Geophagus crassilabrus. I distributed some juveniles upon returning to the US and have some adult set aside to work with.

crassilabris.jpg

crass15.jpg
crass5.jpg
And there were Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus. Same scenario as with Geos. A few folks received extras, and I am keeping adults to work with.

coer.chuc.jpg

coer.penen.jpg

coer.chuc5.jpg

And we got Caquetaia cf. umbrifera 'Panama green umbies'!
I've got a young pair set up to hopefully spawn and some juveniles to raise as well.

By the way, I didn't try to bring back this big female :)

IMG_3073.jpg

grn.umb1.jpg

grn.umb2.jpg

Caught lots of species one doesn't normally think of encountering in Central America, including knifefish, plecos, needle-gars, wolf fish, etc.

micro.pan8.jpg

micro.pan2.jpg

Few more on next post.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Collecting can be very exciting... And very messy.

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg
I've come out of the water like this from the waist down at times. Sometimes, you've got to get dirty to reap the rewards!

IMG_3042.jpg

Tropical cattle look like water buffalo I think.
These are beneath a cashew tree. If you never knew this, the cashew nut is a little encased treat located above the cashew fruit. Yes, there is a fruit which I've never seen sold in US market. My wife grew up eating them in Brazil. I like them too.

And now to finish this post, I would please direct you to the links below where you can view all the latest stock species available to order :)

the home page containing photos of species I am highlighting from my stock

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/

and the stock list page listing all available species by name, size, price, and a brief description of the fish.

http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/stock.html

Last edited:

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Much better. The cb tapajos you had a couple months back have tripled in size at least, did you notice a big growth rate on them in the time you had them?

spazmattik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
I need some of those tapajos heros! I was waiting to get paid last time you had them and of course when I get paid you sell out lol. Good luck with the panama greens! I am still growing out the pair of rio coellos from you and the male is starting to burst with awesome yellows blues and greens. Did you keep any to breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store