New Fahaka Puffer

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
yeah your tank isn't cycled then. You have to do a fish in cycle with that puffer. If you let ammonia build up too high, your puffer will get sick
I should add that puffers are more sensitive than other fish, so be very careful.

Reactions: tlindsey

m_sol

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
yeah your tank isn't cycled then. You have to do a fish in cycle with that puffer. If you let ammonia build up too high, your puffer will get sick
By fish in cycle do you mean add more fish in with him? Also, the tank has a hole on its side. What's supposed to go there? Or should I just cover it up?

m_sol

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
I should add that puffers are more sensitive than other fish, so be very careful.
I'm keeping an eye on him but he still seems active and normal. Should I just move him back to the 10?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
By fish in cycle do you mean add more fish in with him? Also, the tank has a hole on its side. What's supposed to go there? Or should I just cover it up?
No. You have to do water changes several times a week if not more based on the toxic ammonia measurements. Various links in the thread below

Do not move him back to the 10. Move the filter media from the 10 to this tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sorry been busy lately and came late to the party…

for growth rate, my old girl went straight into a 200G from the get go at 1” and grew to easily 12” in the first year…

as for foods, i agree training them from a young age to accept new foods is best, i just cut up small pieces of mussels, scallops or whatever other frozen foods i wanted to feed her and used tong to train feed her. This way she learned to associate whatever was at the end of the tongs as food…

As for tank size, there is as always a lot of debate around it, but the general consensus is that a 5’ 125G would be the bare minimum, although personally i think a 180G would be a better choice for an adult puffer…

-edit-

regarding moving the fish, i think its easier to have one tank setup than to be constantly moving the fish throughout its life but thats just me, use your best judgement and keep an eye on growth rate as they can get stunted pretty easily if not careful due to their growth rate and in a smaller tank you may not notice they slowed down as much…

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store