New Fahaka - the best Fahakaing puffer ever!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Yeah I need to quit looking at it. I've been trying to talk myself out of a fahaka forever.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks! He has been one of, if not the most fun fish I have kept!

Wish he ate pellets though! Haha

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ have you tried massivore delight??? My old girl used to go nuts for it...

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Thanks! He has been one of, if not the most fun fish I have kept!

Wish he ate pellets though! Haha
Out of curiosity what is a rough estimate food cost? I've been looking at ro and rodi systems for 2 weeks now preparing, but waterchanges at 6.3 gph is a real buzz kill.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Oh yea, I stuff crayfish with massivor to get more nutrition, but he will not even look at it otherwise. Even if it falls out of the crayfish while he is eating it... nope!

He is a really picky eater. I have tried many things, only snails and crayfish. He sometimes will take a clam, but not always. No pellets or frozen food has ever worked even when he was little. I think he would have starved to death if I hadn't ordered snails as it refused bloodworms, blackworms and every other frozen food I could try!

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Out of curiosity what is a rough estimate food cost? I've been looking at ro and rodi systems for 2 weeks now preparing, but waterchanges at 6.3 gph is a real buzz kill.
Wow, that is a slow RO system! Most are 50 or 90gpd. Just FYI I use and love the bulk reef supply water saving RO/DI.

Actually food has been pretty inexpensive. I bought a lot of crayfish (for human consumption) online when I got him and still have about half of them. I also found a pond with Chinese mystery snails and those are free. He must be maturing somewhat as his appetite is far less now.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Wow, that is a slow RO system! Most are 50 or 90gpd. Just FYI I use and love the bulk reef supply water saving RO/DI.

Actually food has been pretty inexpensive. I bought a lot of crayfish (for human consumption) online when I got him and still have about half of them. I also found a pond with Chinese mystery snails and those are free. He must be maturing somewhat as his appetite is far less now.
It's 6.3 gph which is roughly 150gpd. I like to use hours instead of days.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Ah my bad, I missed that! It does take a long time to fill tank with RO water... I want it filled now! haha

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Decided I would try and polish some of the small scratches out of the glass from when it was a reef. It wasn't bad, but it bugged me. I got a kit from amazon and spent a couple of days buffing and I think it worked pretty well on the small guys and made a couple larger ones (around 1" long but fingernail just caught) less noticeable. I think it worked pretty well.

So here he is back in the tank and out of the 40B, which he seemed perfectly happy in, with the decorations moved a bit. It does looks pretty bare, but he isn't very flexible and I think needs the open space.

I also changed the lights up a bit. Moving to strips and putting the kessils on the discus tank for the better color rendition on the discus.

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_8886.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store