New fish identification

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Just wondering what kind of fish I just brought home. He was turned into a local pet store for eating fish and stuck in a 15 gallon tank. He has quite the personality and is doing well so far today in his new home alone. Just wondering what kind of fish everyone thinks he is.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Just wondering what kind of fish I just brought home. He was turned into a local pet store for eating fish and stuck in a 15 gallon tank. He has quite the personality and is doing well so far today in his new home alone. Just wondering what kind of fish everyone thinks he is.
Let me get a pic of the mouth
If it points red devil
If it's round Midas

Reactions: brandyz

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
This is the best pic I have on my phone from when he was at the store. I am at work but when I get home tonight I can take a better one.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
He has quite the personality to far. Seems to be quite the drama queen. He is very different in personality than the other one I took from the same pet store. I have another thread on here about his eating and color change. He is my grumpy fish and this one seems super laid back. They are fairly close in size although this one is maybe an inch smaller. I am brand new to keeping any of these fish and this might be an obvious question to everyone else but if I got a big enough tank would these two ever be able to get along in the same tank?

Last edited:
Reactions: #.$ and tlindsey

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
amphilophus no doubt. More then likely cross between Midas / devil. Big lips that have a slight point, tlindsey tlindsey is right I believe. They are often crossed in the hobby really hard to get a pure line now a days. Devil's are leaner with big lips that come to a point. Midas have tin lips that are rounded(do not come to a point), they are also wider fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
He has quite the personality to far. Seems to be quite the drama queen. He is very different in personality than the other one I took from the same pet store. I have another thread on here about his eating and color change. He is my grumpy fish and this one seems super laid back. They are fairly close in size although this one is maybe an inch smaller. I am brand new to keeping any of these fish and this might be an obvious question to everyone else but if I got a big enough tank would these two ever be able to get along in the same tank?

It's hit and miss. Even an 8 foot tank may not be big enough. Just have a plan B when it doesn't work out.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Hard to say if they can live together. It's alot harder when they are adult. Cheeto is a male as for the other I am unsure it's maybe a texas??? If they are both males they will fight I would put 2 or 3 bp to break up aggression to any single fish

Reactions: brandyz

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017

So I am doing some reading and I am thinking NO WAY on ever trying to house them together if in a VERY LARGE tank. They are both such beautiful fish I would never want to even try it in case they hurt each other!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store