New fish opinions/suggestions for 125G

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
I currently have a Green Terror and a Jewel cichlid in 1 tank and an Oscar and a Jack Dempsey in another tank. I'm setting up my 125 gal tank that will house all 4 of these fish and was thinking about adding another fish. I'm leaning towards 1 of the following: female Convict, green or yellow Severum, Chocolate cichlid or a Honduran red point. I came up with these because they are available at my LFS. I'd like to hear your opinions if one of these would be compatible or suggestions for something else I don't have listed. Or, do you think I should just stick with the 4 fish I currently have?

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Thanks for your comment. I kind of thought the 4 fish I have might be enough but it's hard to picture how crowded a 6' tank will be when the 4 fish you're planning on putting in it are only 3" long. And I know adding another fish would go much better now when they're small instead of adding one when they're all 7" plus. I don't like to over crowd a tank and was afraid a Severum or Chocolate might get too big so I was leaning towards a convict or HRP but I guess I'll hold off.

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
I believe the Jewel cichlid is a Hemichromis bimaculatus. The GT is only about 2.5" so I have no idea what sex it is. This is my first GT, which are generally more trouble, male or female? I was planning on keeping my 65G corner tank up and running, not sure what i'm going to put in it just yet.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I believe the Jewel cichlid is a Hemichromis bimaculatus. The GT is only about 2.5" so I have no idea what sex it is. This is my first GT, which are generally more trouble, male or female? I was planning on keeping my 65G corner tank up and running, not sure what i'm going to put in it just yet.
Ok i would keep it running and empty to serve as a hospital/quarantine tank while your cichlids grow. Its likely there will be territorial squabbling with that mix of fish. If one gets banged up you can just move them out.

Moreover, a year from now when the fish have grown, you might decide that the 125 is more full than youd like, in which case the 65 would be a decent tank to keep one of the smaller fish in.

I just wouldnt worry about any more cichlids right now. Put the focus on your tank upgrade and keeping the current cichlids happy and healthy with nutritious, varied diet and frequent water changes. Proper care at this stage in your fishes life will yield more impressive results down the road :)

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Thanks for the advice. Will keep tank empty for some time in case needed down the road. I've been feeding them a varied diet of Omega One super color flakes, Hikari cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and Bug Bites for cichlids. I don't want to eat the same food every meal so i try not to make them do it. Plus, I figure each manufacturer uses different ingredients so if one food is lacking in a nutrient one of the others will provide it.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would agree with the suggestion you don't add anything. The fish you have will all get quite large, and once they are (probably within a year or so) the tank won't seem empty. I would also worry adding the convict that it would clash with the jewel since they are the two small guys of the bunch. If you were to try it, I would go for an HRP instead of a common convict. Though personally I think the smarter move would be to stick with your current stock.
Sounds like you are taking good care of your fish. They should grow quickly, especially the Oscar. I would keep the 65g incase you need to rehome

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Thanks for the convict advice. Hadn't thought about the convict and Jewel fighting over the small guy spot in the tank. I've read that convicts go OK with larger cichlids because of their attitude so I'm certain they would take out their aggression on the jewel. sticking with current fish and going to keep the 65 gal handy for when issues arise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store