New fish problem

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
i noticed tonight our new fish that's about 8 inches long and is a midevil (thanks for ID guys) has what I believe is ick. He was dumped at petco so I assume maybe that's where he got it or just the stress of moving homes 2 in two days. We have had him almost a week and his colors are not as vibrant and I now noticed these small white specks in his fins and body. Our pet stores are closed for he night but should I assume it's ick and treat it as so or is there anything else it could be that I don't know about. Thanks in advance for the help your all so helpful and I really appreciate it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i noticed tonight our new fish that's about 8 inches long and is a midevil (thanks for ID guys) has what I believe is ick. He was dumped at petco so I assume maybe that's where he got it or just the stress of moving homes 2 in two days. We have had him almost a week and his colors are not as vibrant and I now noticed these small white specks in his fins and body. Our pet stores are closed for he night but should I assume it's ick and treat it as so or is there anything else it could be that I don't know about. Thanks in advance for the help your all so helpful and I really appreciate it.

From the description you gave it sounds like ich so I suggest raising the temperature up to around 86 degrees. You can also add aquarium salt.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh don't actually know the actual dosage for the salt but you can type ich in the search bar or wait for members to respond.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/one-proven-way-to-treat-ich-ick.20681/

Salt should be 1 tablespoon per gallon. That's assuming all your fish can handle it. This would not be a good option if you have plants. You should do periodic water changes and vacuum the bottom substrate each time. Add back salt for the water you removed. But don't add salt when you are simply topping off the tank for evaporation.

Temps should be 86-87 and will need to stay at that level (no lower) for around 14 days, but longer if needed (at least 7 days longer than the last time you see any ich on any fish.)

If you notice any fish showing signs of distress (breathing hard, staying at the top of the water much more than normal) add aeration or discontinue either the salt or the heat.

Also, do not also add medicines as some can interact with salt or heat in potentially lethal ways to fish. Heat and salt will work if given time.

You can post pics in the disease forum if you want to open a thread there.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Should be lots of photos of ICH on this forum and other web sites.
Also lots of posts and threads about what to do. If you do not already have a QT (quarantine tank) this might be a stimulus for getting one. If the new fish has already been placed in with other fish then the parasite is in so a QT is pointless now.

I imagine the likely consensus treatment is to raise the tank water temperature. I think the temp should be at least 85 F but look that up. Some suggest adding salt but do some research about your fish and their salt tolerance.

It can take many days to treat ich. By that I mean likely weeks. At least several days after the last white spot is visible.

If you go to a fish shop you will find ich meds. My suggestion is to try the heat treatment. However if you do try one of the meds do some research and follow the directions. Also I do not suggest adding more than one thing. Not salt and meds. Not two kinds of meds.

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Ok I have been reading about raising the heat. He is in a tank alone already so that's good. I guess I will be shopping for a new heater since ours don't adjust. I will try this option first over meds. Thanks everyone!!

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's a bad case of ick to compare.

Any kind of salt (NaCL)is fine, I treated the above fish with water softener salt ($5 for 50lbs at the local home improvement store) and all survived.

brandyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
IMG_7890.JPG IMG_7892.JPG IMG_7894.JPG So it seemed like it was getting better but now I noticed that it seems to be on his eye and lips. Hard to see in the pic but I guess I just want everyone to look and make sure this is ick and. It another fungus since it's growing on his eye. Also it almost seems like there IMG_7895.JPG is a discolored area by his lip. I haven't had to long enough to remember if that was there before or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store